Dec 30, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that closer David Aardsma will have surgery on January 3 to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. It’s news that is going to put a halt to the M’s attempts to trade the right-hander, but all indications are that it won’t affect their 2011 season.
According to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, Aardsma will be ready to begin a throwing program just four weeks after the procedure and should be fully recovered by Opening Day.
He’s not going to be back to full health when spring training opens in late February, but relief pitchers only require a handful of warm-up appearances during the spring and it sure sounds like he’ll be good to go by mid-March.
Aardsma posted a 3.44 ERA and 1.17 WHIP over 49.2 innings for Seattle in 2010, collecting 31 saves in 36 opportunities. If he’s not ready when the 2011 season begins, Brandon League will probably handle the ninth inning in his place.
Aardsma, 29, is likely to be shopped again in the summer if the Mariners do as poorly as expected. Despite carrying Felix Hernandez, the 2010 AL Cy Young Award winner, Seattle scored a league-low 513 runs and finished with 101 losses last season. They haven’t done much to improve the club this winter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)