Dec 30, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that closer David Aardsma will have surgery on January 3 to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. It’s news that is going to put a halt to the M’s attempts to trade the right-hander, but all indications are that it won’t affect their 2011 season.
According to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, Aardsma will be ready to begin a throwing program just four weeks after the procedure and should be fully recovered by Opening Day.
He’s not going to be back to full health when spring training opens in late February, but relief pitchers only require a handful of warm-up appearances during the spring and it sure sounds like he’ll be good to go by mid-March.
Aardsma posted a 3.44 ERA and 1.17 WHIP over 49.2 innings for Seattle in 2010, collecting 31 saves in 36 opportunities. If he’s not ready when the 2011 season begins, Brandon League will probably handle the ninth inning in his place.
Aardsma, 29, is likely to be shopped again in the summer if the Mariners do as poorly as expected. Despite carrying Felix Hernandez, the 2010 AL Cy Young Award winner, Seattle scored a league-low 513 runs and finished with 101 losses last season. They haven’t done much to improve the club this winter.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 6
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 204
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (201)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)