Dec 30, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that closer David Aardsma will have surgery on January 3 to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. It’s news that is going to put a halt to the M’s attempts to trade the right-hander, but all indications are that it won’t affect their 2011 season.
According to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, Aardsma will be ready to begin a throwing program just four weeks after the procedure and should be fully recovered by Opening Day.
He’s not going to be back to full health when spring training opens in late February, but relief pitchers only require a handful of warm-up appearances during the spring and it sure sounds like he’ll be good to go by mid-March.
Aardsma posted a 3.44 ERA and 1.17 WHIP over 49.2 innings for Seattle in 2010, collecting 31 saves in 36 opportunities. If he’s not ready when the 2011 season begins, Brandon League will probably handle the ninth inning in his place.
Aardsma, 29, is likely to be shopped again in the summer if the Mariners do as poorly as expected. Despite carrying Felix Hernandez, the 2010 AL Cy Young Award winner, Seattle scored a league-low 513 runs and finished with 101 losses last season. They haven’t done much to improve the club this winter.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)