Dec 30, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Seattle has been shopping closer David Aardsma since the middle of last season and recent reports suggested they were looking for “an impact bat” in exchange for the 29-year-old right-hander, but today’s announcement that he needs surgery to repair a torn hip labrum ruins those plans.
Aardsma is scheduled to go under the knife Monday and could be recovered by the end of spring training, but the surgery rules out a trade before then and most teams will likely want to see him in action for a while prior to reconsidering a deal.
It’ll be interesting to see if the injury impacts Aardsma’s arbitration case, as he earned $2.75 million in 2010 would have been in line for a raise to at least $4 million after saving 31 games with a 3.44 ERA. The surgery may increase the chances that the two sides will settle before a hearing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)