Dec 30, 2010, 2:52 PM EST
Brian Fuentes has been linked to the Red Sox for most of the offseason, but now Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays are interested in signing the veteran southpaw to be their new closer.
Fuentes served as a setup man for the Twins down the stretch after coming over in a late-August trade, but has plenty of closing experience and racked up an average of 30 saves per season from 2005-2010, including a league-high 48 in 2009.
As a side-arming left-hander many people assume that Fuentes would fit best as a situational southpaw and he certainly shuts down left-handed hitters. However, he’s also very effective versus right-handed hitters, holding them to a .224 batting average and .684 OPS during the past three seasons.
He certainly won’t be as overpowering as the man he’d be replacing in the ninth inning, Rafael Soriano, but Fuentes’ high-80s fastball and excellent changeup have made him one of the most effective (and underrated) relievers of the past decade and even at age 34 he posted a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)