Must-Click Link: Comparing player physiques over time

Dec 31, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT

Click Here large

Most of the people who are on the Bagwell-is-a-roider train ask that we simply compare the physiques of young Bagwell and old Bagwell and all will be revealed.

Oh really?

Jason at IIATMS spent a ton of time today snagging pics of players when they were young and when they were old and puts them side-by-side so we can compare.  Some of them are known PED-users. Others are players who are presumed to be beyond reproach.  Ask yourself: how many of them would you feel comfortable accusing of  juicing based merely on what your eyes tell you?

1. jkcalhoun - Dec 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious that bald guy’s head grew bigger.

Oh wait, that’s Frank Thomas.

2. pipkin42 - Dec 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

You know what else this tells me? Baseball cards have gotten really, really ugly in the 2000s.

3. supersnappy - Dec 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

The pot beneath Rickey Henderson is a fine touch to the most erotic baseball card ever

4. jamie54 - Dec 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Bagwell’s a no brainer, sorry. Fool us once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Why do you feel you have to defend a juicer, I don’t get it? Sorry, even a highly trained athletes body, which excludes baseball players, does not pack on muscle like that no matter how hard they train. He obviously was doing something unnatural and don’t give me that nutrition, exercise BS. Bodies just don’t do that. But put up your Oh, Really, excuses go ahead. You can’t prove he did not use. For crying out loud admit it, lots of these guys would not have gotten where they did without using something, that’s the times maybe and they get dumped into it, tough. Life goes on, he got his millions off of it I’m sure he’s pretty happy with the money they all made.

• mjstoner10 - Dec 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

You’re kidding right? This is a joke? You’re going to blindly accuse someone of taking something just because he packed on muscle. It is possible for your body to do that. Or do athletes in every sport use steroids? Dwight Freeney is 6’1″ and weighs 270 lbs. Is he using steroids? This whole accuse whoever looks “too big” thing is getting out of hand. Nevermind the fact that steroids in baseball are essentially the same blemish as gambling, amphetamines, cocaine, and racism. Ty Cobb was accused of throwing games. Should we kick him out of the game for cheating also?

• baseballisboring - Dec 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM

There’s so many things wrong with this post I don’t have the time or the energy to pick it apart, but let me say I do know a few 20-21 year old kids who went to my high school who are every bit as big as Bagwell was right now who have never touched steroids. Lifting weights DOES pack on muscle (go figure), and MLB players ARE highly trained athletes.

• JBerardi - Dec 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM

You can’t prove he did not use.

Interesting observation. Care to provide a list of ballplayers that can prove that?

5. mjstoner10 - Dec 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM