Dec 31, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Literally, a tough break. Rockies prospect Kyle Parker — who doubles as Clemson’s starting quarterback — just went down with broken ribs in the Meineke Bowl. His college career is now over. With spring training less than two months away, one has to assume that his pro baseball career is going to be somewhat delayed.
Parker was offered a $2.2. million signing bonus when he was drafted by the Rockies last spring with the condition that he quit football. He turned it down. He later signed a $1.4 million bonus that allowed him to play. By all accounts he had a pretty miserable year under center for Clemson. It has now cost him $800,000, broken bones and a late start.
Remember people: friends don’t let friends play football. No good comes of it at all.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 11
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 64
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 48
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)