Tough break for Rockies prospect Kyle Parker

Dec 31, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT

Kyle Parker baseball

Literally, a tough break. Rockies prospect Kyle Parker — who doubles as Clemson’s starting quarterback — just went down with broken ribs in the Meineke Bowl.  His college career is now over.  With spring training less than two months away, one has to assume that his pro baseball career is going to be somewhat delayed.

Parker was offered a $2.2. million signing bonus when he was drafted by the Rockies last spring with the condition that he quit football. He turned it down.  He later signed a $1.4 million bonus that allowed him to play.  By all accounts he had a pretty miserable year under center for Clemson. It has now cost him $800,000, broken bones and a late start.

Remember people: friends don’t let friends play football.  No good comes of it at all.

1. Old Gator - Dec 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I guess no college coaches ever heard of Bo Jackson, eh? If this kid had ruined his baseball career with a pointless compensation-bowl injury – let alone any football injury if baseball is what he really wanted to play professionally – the worst part of it would be that it freed up so much of his time to go spreading his chromosomes for stupidity around the gene pool.

• adrianbk - Dec 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Ah, dipping the toes in the shallow end of the gene pool

2. raysfan1 - Dec 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM

The young manknows his future is in baseball, has no chance of reaching the NFL as a quarterback. However, because he loves football and especially Clemson, he wanted one more year. Sadly for him, it was a bad season for him and his team. He hoped to go out on a high note in the bowl game against South Florida, but it wasn’t to be.
    The coach let him play fin the bowl gameor the same reason he was allowed to play at all this year–he was Clemson’s best QB and he wanted to play.
    Broken ribs usually keep football players out of football 6-8 weeks. He might not miss much spring training agter all.
    Still, if one can play both baseball and football professionally–go with baseball; if (like Parker) one has potential to play major league baseball, but not professional football, quit playing football immediately.
    My wife went to South Carolina (Clemson’s arch rival), and I went to South Florida(Clemson’s opponent today), so while it’s too bad Parker got hurt, I can’t say I’m too sorry about the result of the game.

3. juade - Jan 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM

So uh…has anyone considered this kid’s scholarship availability? Sure, football is/was a mistake, and he’s obviously a baseball talent, but what’s the whole story here? School’s expensive.

• gcarn - Jan 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

But uh . . . He signed a 1.4 MILLION dollar contract in the spring. I think he can afford college with plenty left over. He just spent $800,000 to play QB for his senor year at college (2.2 – 1.4 = 8). I don’t think he’s worried about the money.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I agree, and it’s a subject with which I’m intimately familiar. However, your chances of being badly injured – as in, career-disrupting – playing football far exceed your chances of being badly inured playing baseball. If you wind up getting hurt enough to wash yourself out of a major league career, the difference between that baseball scholarship and the tuition you paid or loans you took, and the signing bonus and long-term professional income you blew or curtailed, would be peanuts.

It’s great that he “loved” football and Clemson. But there are things that I love too – even at my age – but had to give up to keep my wife from murdering me in my sleep. So it goes.

Three legends off to Cooperstown