Jan 1, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
We’re used to hearing your typical New Year’s resolutions. Work out more. Quit smoking. Read more HardballTalk. You know, that kind of thing.
But for Chien-Ming Wang, the goal is simple. He wants to pitch in the majors this upcoming season. According to a report in the China Post, Wang said at a charity drive yesterday he’ll be able to do so “hopefully in May.”
Wang, who turns 31 in March, hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since undergoing shoulder surgery in July of 2009. The Nationals signed him a to a one-year, $2 million contract last offseason in hopes that he would be able to make it back at some point during the 2010 season, but he was only able to make a couple appearances for the organization’s Instructional League team in the fall. He recently re-signed a new contract with the Nationals that includes a $1 million base salary and $4 million in performance incentives.
There was a time when Wang’s sinker was one of the most effective pitches in the major leagues, so this is a small price to pay for a chance at a rebound, especially for a rotation that needs all the help they can get.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)