Jan 1, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional is reporting that Carlos Gonzalez is about to a sign a multi-year contract extension with the Rockies worth somewhere around “$78 or 80 million.”
Meanwhile, the Rockies aren’t saying much. Harding reached a club official who would only say that there has been an offer on the table for some time.
Of course, there’s reason to be skeptical here.
Just a little over one week ago, Harding writes that a radio commentator in Venezuela reported that Gonzalez had reached a seven-year, $80 million contract with the Rockies, but multiple reporters from Venezuela dismissed the report as untrue.
Oh, and perhaps I should also mention that Gonzalez is represented by Scott Boras. Boras doesn’t usually allow clubs to buy out his clients’ free agent years, so while not impossible, a long-term contract extension would at least be out of character. By the way, the 25-year-old Gonzalez is under team control through 2014 and won’t even be arbitration-eligible until after the 2011 season.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)