Jan 2, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
The bilingual Nick Collias, who translates articles for our friends over at MLB Trade Rumors, has been digging through Spanish language publications in the Dominican Republic this morning for more details on the Alfredo Simon shooting incident.
He was kind enough to pass along some of the information that has not yet been reported state-side.
Simon is currently being sought in his home country for allegedly shooting and killing 25-year-old Michel Esteban Castillo on the night of New Year’s Eve and gravely injuring his 17-year-old brother Starlin Castillo Hernandez.
From Manuel Gilbert of Listin Diario, translated by Collias:
“Relatives of the Castillo brothers said that they were in the Luperón town park at four in the morning celebrating the new year, when the player, without words, fired several times at the group that was in the town square, killing Michel Esteban Castillo and gravely injuring Starlin Castillo Hernandez.”
From El Dia, again translated by Collias:
“The player also wounded Starlin Castillo, younger brother of the deceased, when he allegedly shot into the air to celebrate New Year’s Eve, police said… Locals said the player, who had recently signed a $4MM contract with the Baltimore Orioles, is known to have shot in the air on other occasions.”
From the Venezuelan paper El Universal, also translated by Collias:
“A source from the police said Simon is negotiating his surrender to the authorities in order to be brought to justice in the coming hours.”
Piecing this whole thing together, it sounds like the younger Castillo shot a gun into the air in celebration of the new year. Simon was nearby — also, likely intoxicated — and may have been spooked by the sudden gunfire. So he shot in the direction of the blasts with his own fire arm.
Again, this is all based off second-hand reports from newspapers in another country. When we get more details or word of Simon’s surrender, we will pass that information along.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)