Jan 2, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
The bilingual Nick Collias, who translates articles for our friends over at MLB Trade Rumors, has been digging through Spanish language publications in the Dominican Republic this morning for more details on the Alfredo Simon shooting incident.
He was kind enough to pass along some of the information that has not yet been reported state-side.
Simon is currently being sought in his home country for allegedly shooting and killing 25-year-old Michel Esteban Castillo on the night of New Year’s Eve and gravely injuring his 17-year-old brother Starlin Castillo Hernandez.
From Manuel Gilbert of Listin Diario, translated by Collias:
“Relatives of the Castillo brothers said that they were in the Luperón town park at four in the morning celebrating the new year, when the player, without words, fired several times at the group that was in the town square, killing Michel Esteban Castillo and gravely injuring Starlin Castillo Hernandez.”
From El Dia, again translated by Collias:
“The player also wounded Starlin Castillo, younger brother of the deceased, when he allegedly shot into the air to celebrate New Year’s Eve, police said… Locals said the player, who had recently signed a $4MM contract with the Baltimore Orioles, is known to have shot in the air on other occasions.”
From the Venezuelan paper El Universal, also translated by Collias:
“A source from the police said Simon is negotiating his surrender to the authorities in order to be brought to justice in the coming hours.”
Piecing this whole thing together, it sounds like the younger Castillo shot a gun into the air in celebration of the new year. Simon was nearby — also, likely intoxicated — and may have been spooked by the sudden gunfire. So he shot in the direction of the blasts with his own fire arm.
Again, this is all based off second-hand reports from newspapers in another country. When we get more details or word of Simon’s surrender, we will pass that information along.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)