Jan 2, 2011, 1:22 PM EST
The bilingual Nick Collias, who translates articles for our friends over at MLB Trade Rumors, has been digging through Spanish language publications in the Dominican Republic this morning for more details on the Alfredo Simon shooting incident.
He was kind enough to pass along some of the information that has not yet been reported state-side.
Simon is currently being sought in his home country for allegedly shooting and killing 25-year-old Michel Esteban Castillo on the night of New Year’s Eve and gravely injuring his 17-year-old brother Starlin Castillo Hernandez.
From Manuel Gilbert of Listin Diario, translated by Collias:
“Relatives of the Castillo brothers said that they were in the Luperón town park at four in the morning celebrating the new year, when the player, without words, fired several times at the group that was in the town square, killing Michel Esteban Castillo and gravely injuring Starlin Castillo Hernandez.”
From El Dia, again translated by Collias:
“The player also wounded Starlin Castillo, younger brother of the deceased, when he allegedly shot into the air to celebrate New Year’s Eve, police said… Locals said the player, who had recently signed a $4MM contract with the Baltimore Orioles, is known to have shot in the air on other occasions.”
From the Venezuelan paper El Universal, also translated by Collias:
“A source from the police said Simon is negotiating his surrender to the authorities in order to be brought to justice in the coming hours.”
Piecing this whole thing together, it sounds like the younger Castillo shot a gun into the air in celebration of the new year. Simon was nearby — also, likely intoxicated — and may have been spooked by the sudden gunfire. So he shot in the direction of the blasts with his own fire arm.
Again, this is all based off second-hand reports from newspapers in another country. When we get more details or word of Simon’s surrender, we will pass that information along.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)