Jan 2, 2011, 11:08 AM EST
UPDATE: More details HERE.
11:08 AM: Orioles relief pitcher Alfredo Simon may be in serious trouble back in his native country.
According to the Associated Press, he is the “main suspect” in the fatal shooting of a man down in the Dominican Republic.
The AP says that Simon, 29, is believed to have shot and killed 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounded his 17-year-old brother during a New Year’s Eve scuffle in the seaside town of Luperon.
Orioles representative Felipe Alou Jr. told the Associated Press that he has spoken with Simon and that the right-hander is claiming to be innocent.
He posted a 4.93 ERA and 1.54 WHIP in 49 relief appearances last season, fanning 37 batters and walking 22 over 49.1 innings of work while serving as both a setup man and closer.
If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in jail.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)