Jan 2, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
UPDATE: More details HERE.
11:08 AM: Orioles relief pitcher Alfredo Simon may be in serious trouble back in his native country.
According to the Associated Press, he is the “main suspect” in the fatal shooting of a man down in the Dominican Republic.
The AP says that Simon, 29, is believed to have shot and killed 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounded his 17-year-old brother during a New Year’s Eve scuffle in the seaside town of Luperon.
Orioles representative Felipe Alou Jr. told the Associated Press that he has spoken with Simon and that the right-hander is claiming to be innocent.
He posted a 4.93 ERA and 1.54 WHIP in 49 relief appearances last season, fanning 37 batters and walking 22 over 49.1 innings of work while serving as both a setup man and closer.
If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in jail.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 64
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)