Jan 2, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
UPDATE: More details HERE.
11:08 AM: Orioles relief pitcher Alfredo Simon may be in serious trouble back in his native country.
According to the Associated Press, he is the “main suspect” in the fatal shooting of a man down in the Dominican Republic.
The AP says that Simon, 29, is believed to have shot and killed 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounded his 17-year-old brother during a New Year’s Eve scuffle in the seaside town of Luperon.
Orioles representative Felipe Alou Jr. told the Associated Press that he has spoken with Simon and that the right-hander is claiming to be innocent.
He posted a 4.93 ERA and 1.54 WHIP in 49 relief appearances last season, fanning 37 batters and walking 22 over 49.1 innings of work while serving as both a setup man and closer.
If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in jail.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)