Jan 2, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
UPDATE: More details HERE.
11:08 AM: Orioles relief pitcher Alfredo Simon may be in serious trouble back in his native country.
According to the Associated Press, he is the “main suspect” in the fatal shooting of a man down in the Dominican Republic.
The AP says that Simon, 29, is believed to have shot and killed 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounded his 17-year-old brother during a New Year’s Eve scuffle in the seaside town of Luperon.
Orioles representative Felipe Alou Jr. told the Associated Press that he has spoken with Simon and that the right-hander is claiming to be innocent.
He posted a 4.93 ERA and 1.54 WHIP in 49 relief appearances last season, fanning 37 batters and walking 22 over 49.1 innings of work while serving as both a setup man and closer.
If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in jail.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)