Jan 2, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
A report on a Dominican Republic-based website this morning had the Rangers and Adrian Beltre agreeing to a six-year, $96 million contract. That was later found to be incorrect by Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, but the Rangers are indeed talking to the free agent third baseman, according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, and seem to be one of the few teams with legitimate interest in meeting his lofty price tag.
It’s a decent fit if the Rangers can find a taker for 34-year-old third baseman Michael Young. Beltre proved last year in Boston that he has the ability produce gaudy power numbers when hitting in a small park and he would provide a major defensive upgrade at third base.
The Rangers’ Ballpark in Arlington saw the seventh-most homers in baseball last season and the sixth-most total runs. Fenway Park, for reference, hosted the seventh-most total runs.
Texas should have some expendable cash remaining from their failed pursuit of left-hander Cliff Lee and it appears that their only competition to land Beltre comes from the Angels.
Beltre, 31, is thought to be seeking a five-year contract worth about $85 million.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)