Jan 2, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
A report on a Dominican Republic-based website this morning had the Rangers and Adrian Beltre agreeing to a six-year, $96 million contract. That was later found to be incorrect by Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, but the Rangers are indeed talking to the free agent third baseman, according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, and seem to be one of the few teams with legitimate interest in meeting his lofty price tag.
It’s a decent fit if the Rangers can find a taker for 34-year-old third baseman Michael Young. Beltre proved last year in Boston that he has the ability produce gaudy power numbers when hitting in a small park and he would provide a major defensive upgrade at third base.
The Rangers’ Ballpark in Arlington saw the seventh-most homers in baseball last season and the sixth-most total runs. Fenway Park, for reference, hosted the seventh-most total runs.
Texas should have some expendable cash remaining from their failed pursuit of left-hander Cliff Lee and it appears that their only competition to land Beltre comes from the Angels.
Beltre, 31, is thought to be seeking a five-year contract worth about $85 million.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)