Jan 2, 2011, 8:42 AM EDT
It’s amazing how quiet the market has been this winter for free agent reliever Rafael Soriano. He was one of the best bullpen pitchers in all of baseball last year with a 1.73 ERA and 0.80 WHIP across 64 appearances.
His 45 saves in 48 chances led all American League closers and he struck out 57 batters while walking only 14. And, yet, only a couple of clubs have let it known that they have interest in the right-hander.
Most teams simply want to avoid the lofty price tag. In a world where Joaquin Benoit can score a three-year, $16.5 million deal, Soriano should be able to command — or at least ask for — a four-year contract worth close to $25 million.
Whatever the case, it seems like the White Sox are at least investigating Soriano as a possible replacement for Bobby Jenks. SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Saturday that there “seems to be interest” coming from the south side of Chicago, though money may be a real problem. The White Sox have already handed out a couple of big contracts this offseason and would really have to stretch their budget to get something done.
It may take another week or two for the 31-year-old’s market to fully develop.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)