Jan 2, 2011, 8:42 AM EDT
It’s amazing how quiet the market has been this winter for free agent reliever Rafael Soriano. He was one of the best bullpen pitchers in all of baseball last year with a 1.73 ERA and 0.80 WHIP across 64 appearances.
His 45 saves in 48 chances led all American League closers and he struck out 57 batters while walking only 14. And, yet, only a couple of clubs have let it known that they have interest in the right-hander.
Most teams simply want to avoid the lofty price tag. In a world where Joaquin Benoit can score a three-year, $16.5 million deal, Soriano should be able to command — or at least ask for — a four-year contract worth close to $25 million.
Whatever the case, it seems like the White Sox are at least investigating Soriano as a possible replacement for Bobby Jenks. SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Saturday that there “seems to be interest” coming from the south side of Chicago, though money may be a real problem. The White Sox have already handed out a couple of big contracts this offseason and would really have to stretch their budget to get something done.
It may take another week or two for the 31-year-old’s market to fully develop.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 28
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 17
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)