Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York says that the Yankees expect to get Andy Pettitte’s decision this week.
Most reports before now have had Pettitte leaning toward retirement. It’s hard to know how much of that is true and how much of that is an attempt at extracting more money out of the Yankees. I don’t know that anyone’s sourcing on Pettitte’s mindset is all that good. Most people seem to agree that any report that comes from “a friend of Andy Pettitte’s” is repeating what Lance Berkman said. Given that Berkman thinks he’s a right fielder now, I guess you gotta consider the source. I know someone who knows Pettitte — not Berkman — and got some intelligence from them a few weeks ago, but it came with a “you never know what Andy’s thinking” caveat which rendered that info pretty weak sauce. We’re all flying blind here.
I’m guessing that if Pettitte retires there will be a general freakout among Yankees fans. I’m guessing that if he comes back there will be a sorta ugly public contract negotiation a la Derek Jeter‘s. Either way, the Pettitte story won’t end with his decision.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)