Andy Pettitte is supposed to make up his mind this week

Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees Getty Images

Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York says that the Yankees expect to get Andy Pettitte’s decision this week.

Most reports before now have had Pettitte leaning toward retirement.  It’s hard to know how much of that is true and how much of that is an attempt at extracting more money out of the Yankees. I don’t know that anyone’s sourcing on Pettitte’s mindset is all that good.  Most people seem to agree that any report that comes from “a friend of Andy Pettitte’s” is repeating what Lance Berkman said. Given that Berkman thinks he’s a right fielder now, I guess you gotta consider the source. I know someone who knows Pettitte — not Berkman — and got some intelligence from them a few weeks ago, but it came with a “you never know what Andy’s thinking” caveat which rendered that info pretty weak sauce.  We’re all flying blind here.

I’m guessing that if Pettitte retires there will be a general freakout among Yankees fans. I’m guessing that if he comes back there will be a sorta ugly public contract negotiation a la Derek Jeter‘s.  Either way, the Pettitte story won’t end with his decision.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I still think he is coming back for one more year. The fact it’s taken this long leads me to believe that even more. Not a very scientific way to come to a conclusion, just a gut feeling. If he was going to hang it up I would have thought he could have made that decision a lot sooner. But hopefully this drama will end soon.

2. Old Gator - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

And a loose-knit group of right-wing whacko millennialists are predicting that the “End of Days,” also occasionally referred to with indefatigable idiocy as “the Rapture,” will occur in May. Andy is running out of time.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

The Universe will say the hell with it, throw $14 his way and we’ll be good to go for ’11. Best indicator: His performance pre-injury in ’10. Second best indicator: He’s done this every year since the Astors thing.
    Mr. Fiddley-Fart will never give up his Keep-The-Guy on first dreams easily.And to sweeten the pot, the Grump will be his personal catcher.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I think Yankeesfanlen has it right on. Pettitte will return with a nice raise and the panic is postponed until next year… when Pettitte is done and CC opts out.

What? Wait…

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I can only respond with this little verse aphorism by the immortal, though dead, Stephen Crane (author of the classic, though largely ignored, The Red Badge of Courage):

A man said to the universe:
      “Sir I exist!”
      “However,” replied the universe,
      “The fact has not created in me
      A sense of obligation.”

About business they were never wrong, the old masters…

• BC - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM

We are here! We are here! We are here!
        (Horton Hears A Who. I’m more lowbrow than Gator…. and Crane is overrated.)

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM

There’s nothing “lowbrow” about Horton Hears a Who. I would rank it well above Finnegan’s Wake and À la recherche du temps perdu, with or without the tea and madeleins – and you can watch the entire film in one lifetime.

What you really are is a интеллигентка-работника.

• BC - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Hey, I’m dissing on Dr. Seuss. He’s a homeboy, from about 10 miles north of me.

4. pisano - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I feel they’ll offer him more $ than last year and that’ll put him over the top and he’ll resign. I agree with uyf1950 that if he was going to retire he’d have done it long before now. He still has a lot of game left in that arm and as long as he’s healthy he’s a solid #3 starter on many teams and a #2 on some teams.

5. BC - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Hey maybe he can have a special on ESPN and announce…. oh wait… never mind.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Pettitte? Hardly know it!

7. proudlycanadian - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Doesn’t the saga of Andy remind you of Brett Favre?

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Not at all, Favre has been brain-dead for years, Andy simply has multiple misplaced priorities.
      That extra 25 minutes per game pitched with the Grump catching equals 30,000 extra $10 beers for the imbibing crowds and two extra “driven by Jeep” spots for Sterling.

8. Adam - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Craig, that’s kind of a cheap shot at the Puma. He has 8 million reasons to claim he’s a right fielder. The Cardinals are the ones dumb enough to call him a right fielder.

He’s replacing Ludwick who had a line last year of 281/343/484. While Berkman was in the NL last year he hit 245/372/436. That’s not a big difference in OPS and it’s one of Berkman’s worst years. Assuming he reverts slightly to form the Cardinals haven’t really downgraded offensively in RF. Apparently UZR likes Ludwick (and Berkman will definitely be a below average RF) but the Cardinals have 2 other good defensive OF so Berkman may not drag them down that much.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Andy does nothing fast, this doesn’t surprise me at all. But as others have said already, If he was really going to retire, we’d know it by now. Unless he’s really a huge a-hole and wants to burn the Yankees for reasons only known to himself, which I highly doubt. I can’t even imagine the panic in NY, it would be insanity.

10. uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM

The YESNetwork is reporting the Yankees are anticipating Andy Pettitte to announce his retirement this week. We shall see. One way or another hopefully this is a light at the end of the tunnel to this saga.

11. Adam - Jan 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I heard that Pettitte was about to make a move, but he balked.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet