Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York says that the Yankees expect to get Andy Pettitte’s decision this week.
Most reports before now have had Pettitte leaning toward retirement. It’s hard to know how much of that is true and how much of that is an attempt at extracting more money out of the Yankees. I don’t know that anyone’s sourcing on Pettitte’s mindset is all that good. Most people seem to agree that any report that comes from “a friend of Andy Pettitte’s” is repeating what Lance Berkman said. Given that Berkman thinks he’s a right fielder now, I guess you gotta consider the source. I know someone who knows Pettitte — not Berkman — and got some intelligence from them a few weeks ago, but it came with a “you never know what Andy’s thinking” caveat which rendered that info pretty weak sauce. We’re all flying blind here.
I’m guessing that if Pettitte retires there will be a general freakout among Yankees fans. I’m guessing that if he comes back there will be a sorta ugly public contract negotiation a la Derek Jeter‘s. Either way, the Pettitte story won’t end with his decision.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)