Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York says that the Yankees expect to get Andy Pettitte’s decision this week.
Most reports before now have had Pettitte leaning toward retirement. It’s hard to know how much of that is true and how much of that is an attempt at extracting more money out of the Yankees. I don’t know that anyone’s sourcing on Pettitte’s mindset is all that good. Most people seem to agree that any report that comes from “a friend of Andy Pettitte’s” is repeating what Lance Berkman said. Given that Berkman thinks he’s a right fielder now, I guess you gotta consider the source. I know someone who knows Pettitte — not Berkman — and got some intelligence from them a few weeks ago, but it came with a “you never know what Andy’s thinking” caveat which rendered that info pretty weak sauce. We’re all flying blind here.
I’m guessing that if Pettitte retires there will be a general freakout among Yankees fans. I’m guessing that if he comes back there will be a sorta ugly public contract negotiation a la Derek Jeter‘s. Either way, the Pettitte story won’t end with his decision.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)