Jan 3, 2011, 5:28 PM EST
When last we saw former All-Star closer Chad Cordero, he was being signed by the Mets. That didn’t really go anyplace — he didn’t make it out of AAA after the deal — but he’s got a gig for 2011: the Blue Jays have signed him.
It’s not definitely a gig. The report is vague on the specifics, but I’m guessing it’s a minor league deal. Still, not a bad guy to take a chance on. He had labrum surgery a couple of years ago and the Mariners didn’t want to keep him around after a mere nine games last season, but he struck out more than a man an inning at AAA in 2010, and that’s not nothing. You could do worse if you’re picking up arms off the scrap heap.
Bonus: he’s a former Expo and original Nat. And they’re worth something for historical value, no?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)