Jan 3, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
When last we saw former All-Star closer Chad Cordero, he was being signed by the Mets. That didn’t really go anyplace — he didn’t make it out of AAA after the deal — but he’s got a gig for 2011: the Blue Jays have signed him.
It’s not definitely a gig. The report is vague on the specifics, but I’m guessing it’s a minor league deal. Still, not a bad guy to take a chance on. He had labrum surgery a couple of years ago and the Mariners didn’t want to keep him around after a mere nine games last season, but he struck out more than a man an inning at AAA in 2010, and that’s not nothing. You could do worse if you’re picking up arms off the scrap heap.
Bonus: he’s a former Expo and original Nat. And they’re worth something for historical value, no?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)