Cole Hamels is not sweating his contract at the moment

Jan 3, 2011, 9:06 AM EDT

Cole hamels

Cole Hamels’ Hamels’ contract expires after 2011, with an added year of arbitration eligibility for 2012. I suspect that some people are going to get antsy about that soon, wondering if grabbing Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt is going to cost the Phillies the chance to lock up the one pitcher of that crowd who might still be pitching at a high level seven or eight years from now.  But Hamels and his agent John Boggs aren’t worried about it:

“My philosophy has always been the best position to take is one of concentrating on completing the existing contract with the club,” Boggs said. “Concentrate on the job at hand. If the Phillies determine they would like to talk to us about something, sure, we’d be all ears.”

I’d be surprised if something doesn’t get done with Hamels next winter. The Phillies aren’t idiots.  I’m guessing that people will still wring their hands about it though.  Personally, I’m kind of glad that they haven’t given him a contract extension yet. Not because I want to see him leave Philly — I’d never wish that a team’s star bolt — but because I don’t think we’re all prepared for another week’s worth of stories about the awesomeness of Philly’s rotation at the moment.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM

There is no reason why the Phillies should go out on a limb well before they have to. A lot can happen to a pitcher in 2 years. You need look no further then Josh Beckett and the Boston signing. Theo signed him a year before his contract expired and look what happened. If all goes the way the Phillies and Hamels would like he’ll get signed and if not they will part ways. It’s a smart decision to wait and see.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I still can’t believe how awesome the Phills pitching is right now. I wonder if Amaro would rather trade Oswalt than Joe Blanton?? What would the Yankees give up for him??? They still Have Halladay, Lee, Hamels, if it happened. I guess the whole media/ fan frenzy of keeping this rotation together will trump any needs for position players, but if I were Amaro, I’d have to think about it. Maybe even fish for some offers….

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Since we are only fantasizing I would guess Oswalt would be the better option. He’s been more consistent and he has had a consistently lower ERA and WHIP then Blanton. The issue is at what cost. Blanton would probably cost the Yankees very little if they took on his salary. Oswalt is another story, he would obviously cost more. There is also the issue of Oswalt’s mutual option come the 2012 season. Any team interested in Oswalt would have to be assured of him playing for them past the 2011 season if they are to give up talent for him. But it’s an interesting dilemma.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Oswalt is awesome, where as Blanton is more of an “effective, inning eating moose. There isn’t much comparing the two outside of this conversation. But I figured since no one else has brought up the option, I would.. It’s 16 million per for two years to get Oswalt. That makes him around a 4 million per season discount imo. Blanton is worth 8 per, maybe 10 at the most in this off season specifically. But it’s got to be in the minds of Philly management right now, I mean maybe they can get something useful for Oswalt, making it worth the while?

• larryhockett - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Doesn’t Oswalt still have a no-trade clause in his contract?

• Utley's Hair - Jan 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

He waived his no-trade clause last summer to come to Philly. Of course that was after Jonny said “eff him” for allegedly not wanting to come here. ;)

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Was there time to say “eff him” ? I don’t remember, it’s all a blur.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yup…( http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/roy-oswalt-doesnt-want-to-go-to-philly/ )

But your buddy Lidge stepped in and convinced him to rethink it. Now he might be a bit happier about it.

• Brian - Jan 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM

it would be a PR disaster if they traded Oswalt away. It won’t happen.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Like Cliff Lee was? I’m thinking the Phillies will do what they think is best in the end. Even if it’s wrong, regardless of PR. But yeah, I don’t see them wanting to change this rotation before this season is over. Just throwing it out there, it’s slow in the world of baseball.

• Brian - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM

exactly like Cliff Lee. I think Oswalt was a semi-atonement for that and I doubt they would do it two offseasons in a row.

3. JM Lattanzi - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I could theoretically see Hamels being traded before his final arb season. Of course, that completely depends on whether or not the Phillies decide to exercise Oswalt’s option for 2012, and the development of the kids down on the farm. If even one of those two things does not happen, Hamels will most likely be locked up with another 3 year deal.

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Remember the Oswalt option is mutual. Oswalt has to exercise it as well. Unless the Phillies are willing to pony up $20M plus and extension there is a good chance he might not exercise his end of it. In which case he would become a FA after the 2011 season.

• JM Lattanzi - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This is true. Thank you for the correction. It must have been made into a mutual option as part of the trade deal last summer, then.

4. Ari Collins - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM

For those talking about Oswalt in 2012: he might sign an extension, or re-sign with Philly in FA, but mutual options are very rarely picked up by both sides. Either the team thinks the option is too high or the agent thinks the option is too low (or too short-term).

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’m going to guess he hits FA. If for no other reason then the Phillies aren’t likely to give him an extension. Because they will already have 2 pitchers (Halladay and Lee) committed on their payroll till well into their late 30’s. To give Oswalt who will be 34 years old at the end of the 2011 season a 3 year extension (the 2012 option year and 2 additional years plus a raise to $20M per) might be more then they are willing to do. Add on top of that if they want to resign Hamels they would be talking a 2013 payroll just for Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels, Utley & of course Howard of close to $120M just for those 6 players for 2013 if they resign Oswalt and Hamel’s. I would think something or someone has to give.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM

That scenerio, or he signs the extension with every intention of it being his last season pitching. He seems like a guy who made enough money already and can’t wait to get back to the farm, in ways. But then again, it seems hard to turn down millions of additional dollars.

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Jonny 5 – Like you said it’s hard to imagine any player turning down $30 to $40M over 2 years if he can get it with another team. Especially when he turns 35 years old. Another 2 years from a team (any team, especially if it’s a contender) sounds pretty appealing. I think one thing that would be in the back of my mind if I were him is the Phillies are paying Lee and Halladay $20M + when they will be past 35 why not me. He may be a stand up guy but that has to cross your mind.

5. xmatt0926x - Jan 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Forget all that stuff. lets get back to the “awesomeness of the Phillies rotation” . For good measure, lets also talk about Frenchy Franceour.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win