Jan 3, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
2011 is going to be a rough, rough year for Kansas City. But as we have noted a number of times in recent months, the future is bright. And the future will be on display this spring, because the team has invited many of its big name prospects to big league camp:
A total of 23 non-roster invitations to big league camp have been extended by the club, and six of those went to players ranked by Baseball America among the organization’s Top 10 prospects.
Those six are first baseman Eric Hosmer, who was ranked as the Royals’ No. 1 prospect by the publication, third baseman Mike Moustakas (No. 3), and left-handers John Lamb (No. 4), Mike Montgomery (No. 5), Danny Duffy (No. 7) and Chris Dwyer (No. 8). Right-hander Aaron Crow, who was ranked ninth, is on the 40-man roster, so he’ll be in camp, as well.
As is usually the case, these guys will get their hacks for a week or two and then they’ll be sent back to minor league camp. But it has to be exciting for Royals fans to be able to get the sneak preview.
The only problem is going to be when these prospects totally outperform the guys who are going to be on the big league roster when they break camp. Awwk-ward!
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17