Jan 3, 2011, 3:04 PM EST
2011 is going to be a rough, rough year for Kansas City. But as we have noted a number of times in recent months, the future is bright. And the future will be on display this spring, because the team has invited many of its big name prospects to big league camp:
A total of 23 non-roster invitations to big league camp have been extended by the club, and six of those went to players ranked by Baseball America among the organization’s Top 10 prospects.
Those six are first baseman Eric Hosmer, who was ranked as the Royals’ No. 1 prospect by the publication, third baseman Mike Moustakas (No. 3), and left-handers John Lamb (No. 4), Mike Montgomery (No. 5), Danny Duffy (No. 7) and Chris Dwyer (No. 8). Right-hander Aaron Crow, who was ranked ninth, is on the 40-man roster, so he’ll be in camp, as well.
As is usually the case, these guys will get their hacks for a week or two and then they’ll be sent back to minor league camp. But it has to be exciting for Royals fans to be able to get the sneak preview.
The only problem is going to be when these prospects totally outperform the guys who are going to be on the big league roster when they break camp. Awwk-ward!
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)