Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Remember what I wrote earlier? Well, scratch all that. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Michael Young said he is willing to be a designated hitter if the club signs Adrian Beltre.
6:39 PM: Depending on what you read right now, the Rangers may or may not be close to signing Adrian Beltre. However, one thing we know for sure is that the club has at least prepared for the possibility of signing him. With that in mind, they have approached Michael Young about a potential position change.
Let’s just say he’s not feeling the whole idea.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com and Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Young told the club that he is not interested in moving off third base. The 35-year-old already switched from second base to shortstop to make room for Alfonso Soriano in 2004 and shifted to third base in 2009 for Elvis Andrus. He wasn’t thrilled about changing positions in 2009, so it’s no surprise to hear he’s not into some vague utility role, as well as splitting time as a designated hitter or sharing first base with Mitch Moreland.
Well, fine. Just trade the guy, right? Not so easy when someone in their mid-to-late 30s is making $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
If the Rangers sign Beltre, they might just have to say “tough cookies” and brace for the potential fallout.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)