Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Remember what I wrote earlier? Well, scratch all that. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Michael Young said he is willing to be a designated hitter if the club signs Adrian Beltre.
6:39 PM: Depending on what you read right now, the Rangers may or may not be close to signing Adrian Beltre. However, one thing we know for sure is that the club has at least prepared for the possibility of signing him. With that in mind, they have approached Michael Young about a potential position change.
Let’s just say he’s not feeling the whole idea.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com and Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Young told the club that he is not interested in moving off third base. The 35-year-old already switched from second base to shortstop to make room for Alfonso Soriano in 2004 and shifted to third base in 2009 for Elvis Andrus. He wasn’t thrilled about changing positions in 2009, so it’s no surprise to hear he’s not into some vague utility role, as well as splitting time as a designated hitter or sharing first base with Mitch Moreland.
Well, fine. Just trade the guy, right? Not so easy when someone in their mid-to-late 30s is making $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
If the Rangers sign Beltre, they might just have to say “tough cookies” and brace for the potential fallout.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)