Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Remember what I wrote earlier? Well, scratch all that. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Michael Young said he is willing to be a designated hitter if the club signs Adrian Beltre.
6:39 PM: Depending on what you read right now, the Rangers may or may not be close to signing Adrian Beltre. However, one thing we know for sure is that the club has at least prepared for the possibility of signing him. With that in mind, they have approached Michael Young about a potential position change.
Let’s just say he’s not feeling the whole idea.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com and Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Young told the club that he is not interested in moving off third base. The 35-year-old already switched from second base to shortstop to make room for Alfonso Soriano in 2004 and shifted to third base in 2009 for Elvis Andrus. He wasn’t thrilled about changing positions in 2009, so it’s no surprise to hear he’s not into some vague utility role, as well as splitting time as a designated hitter or sharing first base with Mitch Moreland.
Well, fine. Just trade the guy, right? Not so easy when someone in their mid-to-late 30s is making $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
If the Rangers sign Beltre, they might just have to say “tough cookies” and brace for the potential fallout.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)