Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
UPDATE: Remember what I wrote earlier? Well, scratch all that. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Michael Young said he is willing to be a designated hitter if the club signs Adrian Beltre.
6:39 PM: Depending on what you read right now, the Rangers may or may not be close to signing Adrian Beltre. However, one thing we know for sure is that the club has at least prepared for the possibility of signing him. With that in mind, they have approached Michael Young about a potential position change.
Let’s just say he’s not feeling the whole idea.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com and Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Young told the club that he is not interested in moving off third base. The 35-year-old already switched from second base to shortstop to make room for Alfonso Soriano in 2004 and shifted to third base in 2009 for Elvis Andrus. He wasn’t thrilled about changing positions in 2009, so it’s no surprise to hear he’s not into some vague utility role, as well as splitting time as a designated hitter or sharing first base with Mitch Moreland.
Well, fine. Just trade the guy, right? Not so easy when someone in their mid-to-late 30s is making $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
If the Rangers sign Beltre, they might just have to say “tough cookies” and brace for the potential fallout.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)