Jan 3, 2011, 4:51 PM EST
Club officials are not particularly optimistic that something will get down with third baseman Adrian Beltre. That deal seems unlikely give the tenor of feeling on Monday but things could change.
The weird thing about this is that neither side of these conflicting reports is openly refuting the other. Usually we see “So-and-so said a deal was close, but a team source says that’s not the case.” Not on this. Here it’s like we have two alternate realities existing in which Adrian Beltre is close to signing and not at all close to signing and they are totally unaware of the other.
Maybe we’re in a Star Trek: TNG episode. They used to encounter that kind of thing all the time. If only we can somehow communicate with our alternate selves, we could solve this crisis! I suggest doing something with a tachyon field. Or perhaps reconfiguring the deflector dish. If we need more power, we can just divert some from the main shields. Yes, I know that leaves us vulnerable in the event of an attack, but how likely is that to occur? We’re on a research mission for crying out loud!
11:05 AM: Enrique Rojas of ESPN reports that “an agreement appears imminent,” between Adrian Beltre and the Rangers.
We are in grain of salt territory here however. Why? because yesterday there were reports that a deal was done, but those were walked back by U.S. writers, presumably with Rangers sources, who say that there are conversations but nothing close to being done. Rojas’ new report cites those reports from the Dominican Republic yesterday, but it is bylined from ten minutes ago. Is he reporting something new pointing to an imminent deal, or did an ESPN editor jump the gun or misread Rojas’ latest dispatch as the latest news when he was really reporting on yesterday’s now discredited reports? And if it is the latter, why no acknowledgments of the debunkings from earlier today? Hurm.
Rojas is good, though. If there’s a deal in place, it would not shock me in the least if he had it first. It seems like player-sourced news tends to beat team-sourced news with this sort of thing anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)