The Mets are testing some grand business management theories or something

Jan 3, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT

alderson at podium

I don’t like the Mets very much, but I really hate business books. As such, this article in today’s Wall Street Journal about how a book analyzing what happens to businesses who collect brains rather than promote from within relates to the Mets was a bit of a slog.  Some of you may like it though:

… “stars” who moved to new organizations in teams or “packs” performed better than those who moved individually, for their relationships with each other made it easier to replicate the conditions that had made them successful in the first place. Dr. Groysberg called such connections “relationship human capital.” And for Mr. DePodesta, 38, who regards “Moneyball” as a treatise not on how to evaluate athletic talent but on how to exploit “stagnant systems,” “Chasing Stars” represents another opportunity to test business theories and principles in what might at first seem an unorthodox setting.

I know I’m supposed to be all forward-thinking and sabermetrically-friendly, but after reading this article, I’d like nothing more than to hear about a team who hired a crusty old GM who eats pastrami sandwiches and says stuff like “we need some fellas who can really hit the snot out of the ball, see?”

1. BC - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Someone get on the horn with Dallas Green!

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Craig, I’m very sad to tell you this, but your servant Mr. Kobayashi has died.

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, read about that this morning. Pete Posthelwaite, a face for the ages.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Kaiser Soze, uhh I mean “Craig” could do his Eulogy..

• Lukehart80 - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

RIP, Pete…

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Posthelwaite also got to recite one of the great lines in cinema history in Jurassic Park – The Lost World: “I’ve been on too many safaris with rich dentists. I want to hunt a T-Rex.”

• Utley's Hair - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Would saying the Usual Suspects was an awesome movie be like saying water is wet, the sky is blue and the Phightins have a couple good starting pitchers?

• wonkypenguin - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

• Utley's Hair - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Good thing I didn’t say it then, ’cause I would have come off as a moron. As if there isn’t enough evidence for that as it is….

• Jonny 5 - Jan 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

One of the best movies EVER! And Craig does kinda look like Kaiser. Just add glasses and a little more male pattern balding to Kevin Spacey and Craig is a dead ringer.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jan 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“Relationship Human Capital”= Frat house management style
    “Stagnent Systems”= NY Metropolitans.
    Sounds like same old, same old.Maybe the Wilpons will use some of the Madoff settlement to right the boat this off-season. Oooooooooh.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I don’t think it takes a book from a business analyst to reach the conclusion that the Mets needed to replace as many people as possible. If only they could fire the ownership…

5. mamow74 - Jan 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

The first few words say it all don’t they? If someone wrote a piece like this about the Red Sox or one of the other teams y’all crush on you’d be creaming yourselves with praise. But alas they were talking about the Mets, so this just absolutely worthless blog post had to be made. I mean it is kind of amazing that you get to claim ownership of a post when the majority of the words were written by someone else, this is quite a racket you guys have here. Regardless, in the future just leave it guys, will ya? No one gives a shit.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Wow…bitter much?

Apparently you’re new here. So I guess introductions are in order. I am a Phightins Phan—or, in the words of Craig, an overly sensitive and overconfident Phightins Phan—and I don’t like the Mutts much. Craig (the writer of the blog here) is an unabashed Braves fan. There are fans from all—I believe—30 MLB teams who frequent this place. Most of the teams and fans of them are ribbed by Craig and the commenters. Craig has even been known to jab the Braves at times.

I guess what I’m saying is, if you don’t like it here, why not go somewhere else? Or maybe just hang out, and I’m sure a post will come along that you will agree with…eventually.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4951)