Jan 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
I remember trying to get an official game-quality Tigers jersey back in 1983 or 1984. Even in Michigan it was a pain. My folks couldn’t find one anywhere in Flint. Just a bunch of cheapo-knockoffs with iron-on quality lettering and stuff. The options were mail-order or to drive 60 miles to one of a handful of sporting goods shops down in Detroit who kept them in stock. Maybe there were better ways we didn’t know about, but it wasn’t like you could just walk into any random suburban sporting good store and get one like you can now.
But you could in 1919! Check out this ad for game-quality Red Sox jerseys over at Hauls of Shame. I’m guessing you’d be thought of as a hooligan for actually wearing one — my understanding of that time is that you would be beaten about the head and shoulders if you did not wear a hat, starched collar, wool suit and possibly a monocle — but the option was there for you.
Good point raised by the linked article, though: how many people have purchased vintage, putatively game-used jerseys from that era without realizing that there were identical-quality knockoffs floating around?
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)