Jan 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
I remember trying to get an official game-quality Tigers jersey back in 1983 or 1984. Even in Michigan it was a pain. My folks couldn’t find one anywhere in Flint. Just a bunch of cheapo-knockoffs with iron-on quality lettering and stuff. The options were mail-order or to drive 60 miles to one of a handful of sporting goods shops down in Detroit who kept them in stock. Maybe there were better ways we didn’t know about, but it wasn’t like you could just walk into any random suburban sporting good store and get one like you can now.
But you could in 1919! Check out this ad for game-quality Red Sox jerseys over at Hauls of Shame. I’m guessing you’d be thought of as a hooligan for actually wearing one — my understanding of that time is that you would be beaten about the head and shoulders if you did not wear a hat, starched collar, wool suit and possibly a monocle — but the option was there for you.
Good point raised by the linked article, though: how many people have purchased vintage, putatively game-used jerseys from that era without realizing that there were identical-quality knockoffs floating around?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)