Jan 4, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Things are not looking good for Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon. The prosecutor told the Associated Press that the evidence supports an involuntary manslaughter charge:
“The version that we have is that there was a dispute between two women and [Simon] tried to dissolve it, fired a shot that ended up wounding a young person in the arm and that same bullet lodged in the chest of the deceased.”
Simon’s lawyer says it happened differently: he says that a bunch of people were firing guns into the air, that Simon had no idea that a bullet hit anyone, and that the police have singled him out.
I don’t know a thing about the legal system in the Dominican Republic, but if the prosecution has a theory like that — and if ballistic tests don’t show the bullet to have come from someone else’s gun — it would not be unreasonable to assume that Simon will be either in jail or at least charged and unable to leave the country for some time and that a trial will take place in which the fired-at-someone vs. the fired-in-the-air stories would be go head-to-head.
Mostly, though, we have to realize that we don’t know much of anything.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 7
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)