Jan 4, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Things are not looking good for Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon. The prosecutor told the Associated Press that the evidence supports an involuntary manslaughter charge:
“The version that we have is that there was a dispute between two women and [Simon] tried to dissolve it, fired a shot that ended up wounding a young person in the arm and that same bullet lodged in the chest of the deceased.”
Simon’s lawyer says it happened differently: he says that a bunch of people were firing guns into the air, that Simon had no idea that a bullet hit anyone, and that the police have singled him out.
I don’t know a thing about the legal system in the Dominican Republic, but if the prosecution has a theory like that — and if ballistic tests don’t show the bullet to have come from someone else’s gun — it would not be unreasonable to assume that Simon will be either in jail or at least charged and unable to leave the country for some time and that a trial will take place in which the fired-at-someone vs. the fired-in-the-air stories would be go head-to-head.
Mostly, though, we have to realize that we don’t know much of anything.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (105)