Jan 4, 2011, 4:09 PM EST
I was just on a radio show. As has been the case with every radio show I’ve been on in the past couple of months, the Yankees came up. Today’s hosts were way more reasonable about it than most have been, but there has been a pretty common thread to these things: somewhat restrained glee that the Yankees haven’t had a great hot stove season. Yankeesfreude, as I’ve called it before.
I agree that the Yankees haven’t had a great winter, but I think we’re going to reach the point pretty soon where people are going to underrate them pretty severely. I can’t see how they’re not the wild card favorite at the moment. I think they’d win 90 games right now even if they don’t do anything else. And as we’re so fond of saying in these parts, anything can happen in a short series.
The Red Sox got better. The Rays got worse. The Yankees aren’t going to be a radically different team than they were in 2010, and that was pretty darn good. I say we should all relax about ‘em.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)