Jan 4, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
I was just on a radio show. As has been the case with every radio show I’ve been on in the past couple of months, the Yankees came up. Today’s hosts were way more reasonable about it than most have been, but there has been a pretty common thread to these things: somewhat restrained glee that the Yankees haven’t had a great hot stove season. Yankeesfreude, as I’ve called it before.
I agree that the Yankees haven’t had a great winter, but I think we’re going to reach the point pretty soon where people are going to underrate them pretty severely. I can’t see how they’re not the wild card favorite at the moment. I think they’d win 90 games right now even if they don’t do anything else. And as we’re so fond of saying in these parts, anything can happen in a short series.
The Red Sox got better. The Rays got worse. The Yankees aren’t going to be a radically different team than they were in 2010, and that was pretty darn good. I say we should all relax about ‘em.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL