Jan 4, 2011, 4:09 PM EST
I was just on a radio show. As has been the case with every radio show I’ve been on in the past couple of months, the Yankees came up. Today’s hosts were way more reasonable about it than most have been, but there has been a pretty common thread to these things: somewhat restrained glee that the Yankees haven’t had a great hot stove season. Yankeesfreude, as I’ve called it before.
I agree that the Yankees haven’t had a great winter, but I think we’re going to reach the point pretty soon where people are going to underrate them pretty severely. I can’t see how they’re not the wild card favorite at the moment. I think they’d win 90 games right now even if they don’t do anything else. And as we’re so fond of saying in these parts, anything can happen in a short series.
The Red Sox got better. The Rays got worse. The Yankees aren’t going to be a radically different team than they were in 2010, and that was pretty darn good. I say we should all relax about ‘em.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)