Jan 4, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
I was just on a radio show. As has been the case with every radio show I’ve been on in the past couple of months, the Yankees came up. Today’s hosts were way more reasonable about it than most have been, but there has been a pretty common thread to these things: somewhat restrained glee that the Yankees haven’t had a great hot stove season. Yankeesfreude, as I’ve called it before.
I agree that the Yankees haven’t had a great winter, but I think we’re going to reach the point pretty soon where people are going to underrate them pretty severely. I can’t see how they’re not the wild card favorite at the moment. I think they’d win 90 games right now even if they don’t do anything else. And as we’re so fond of saying in these parts, anything can happen in a short series.
The Red Sox got better. The Rays got worse. The Yankees aren’t going to be a radically different team than they were in 2010, and that was pretty darn good. I say we should all relax about ’em.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 100
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 151
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)