Must-click link: Adrian Beltre freaks out if you touch his head

Jan 4, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT

Click Here large

This probably qualifies somewhere between “weird” and “the greatest thing I’ve ever seen,” but apparently Adrian Beltre really, really hates when people touch the top of his head.

So naturally his teammates on the Red Sox last season–and Victor Martinez, in particular–did it frequently to upset him in the dugout, hilarious evidence of which you can watch by clicking this:

Beltre head rubs

His new Rangers teammates should take note. And from now on when someone says “I can’t imagine life without the internet” my assumption will be that they saw all the gifs of Beltre freaking out as Martinez touched the top of his head.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

It’s all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out.

• Adam - Jan 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Then it’s just fun

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

No, it IS the greatest thing ever.

3. quintjs - Jan 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I just love how it just became the thing to do in the Sox dugout – even JD Drew had a go.

4. IdahoMariner - Jan 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I don’t remember any mention of this when he was a mariner…before I go look it up, I’m just gonna free-range speculate and say that he either 1) scared the living sh#t out of his mariners teammates so they didn’t do it, especially in the absence of a youkilis to keep them safe (he restrains beltre in two of the gifs) or 2) developed this severe aversion to being touched after he signed with boston. I’m going with 1).

5. IdahoMariner - Jan 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM

ok, I’m back from trying to find something on him doing this with the mariners…and then I quit searching when I realized that his teammates only do this after he hits a home run…and he didn’t hit so many of those for us.

And Craig, you called it this spring/early summer, on Beltre telling his teammates he didn’t like it:
    “Doesn’t saying something like this basically guarantee you a lifetime of head rubbing? It’s the equivalent of “psycho” from “Stripes” telling the platoon that he doesn’t like being called Francis.”

6. Glenn - Jan 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

It may have been a lost year for the Red Sox, but I am going to miss those guys (Beltre and Martinez).

• baseballisboring - Jan 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Agreed.

7. apbaguy - Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I don’t think Josh and Nelson “Country Strong” Cruz will be too intimidated if they choose to rub Beltre’s head. But I don’t think they’ll get too many opportunities this coming year, either, if you can only rub it after homeruns. A year after a Beltre contract year looks an awful lot like a .740 OPS.

• retrospects - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

He did so terrible this year huh…

8. baseballisboring - Jan 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Haaaahahaha. I love the first one. Even in the middle of a mobbing at home plate he still stops what he’s doing to go after whoever rubbed his head. Brilliant.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM

HA HA!! Done Nelson Muntz style…….

10. Jack Marshall - Jan 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Is this really only coming to national attention now? Because it was a running drama/slapstick comedy in Boston all season, with Victor Martinez intentionally rubbing Beltre’s head to drive him nuts, and laughing his ass off when Beltre would take a swing at him.

• umrguy42 - Jan 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Nah, it was on Around the Horn/Pardon the Interruption when it happened too. I’m surprised it’s only here now – slow news day?

11. Old Gator - Jan 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM

He probably read somewhere in the Padukah Panchakra that if you get fingernail lint on the anthers of your blooming chakra Sahasrara, it short-circuits your kundalini all the way down to Manipura – and if that happens Metamucil ain’t gonna be any help.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet