Jan 4, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that he’d talked to Edgar Renteria‘s agent and today John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that “it’s believed that the Reds have an offer out to” the veteran shortstop.
Last month the Giants reportedly offered Renteria a one-year, $1 million deal to re-sign after winning World Series MVP honors, but after earning $10 million last season and at least $6 million every year since 2003 he took the proposed pay cut as an insult, saying:
That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect. To play for a million dollars, I’d rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family. Thank god I’m well off financially and my money is well invested.
There hasn’t been much speculation surrounding Renteria since then and there’s little chance of the Reds offering him a whole lot more than $1 million considering he wouldn’t even be guaranteed to start over Paul Janish at shortstop and they have Scott Rolen and Brandon Phillips locked in at third base and second base.
If he wants to keep playing at age 34, after 15 seasons, Renteria will have to take a part-time role and a significant cut in salary.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)