Jan 4, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that he’d talked to Edgar Renteria‘s agent and today John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that “it’s believed that the Reds have an offer out to” the veteran shortstop.
Last month the Giants reportedly offered Renteria a one-year, $1 million deal to re-sign after winning World Series MVP honors, but after earning $10 million last season and at least $6 million every year since 2003 he took the proposed pay cut as an insult, saying:
That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect. To play for a million dollars, I’d rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family. Thank god I’m well off financially and my money is well invested.
There hasn’t been much speculation surrounding Renteria since then and there’s little chance of the Reds offering him a whole lot more than $1 million considering he wouldn’t even be guaranteed to start over Paul Janish at shortstop and they have Scott Rolen and Brandon Phillips locked in at third base and second base.
If he wants to keep playing at age 34, after 15 seasons, Renteria will have to take a part-time role and a significant cut in salary.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)