Jan 4, 2011, 12:28 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Simon is being held in the Dominican Republic pending the results of ballistic tests. Authorities are currently trying to confirm whether the bullet that killed Castillo came from Simon’s gun. He has yet to be charged with a crime, though he is the lead suspect.
9:28 PM: According to Dionisio Soldevila, a Spanish language correspondent for the Associated Press, Alfredo Simon will be held in his native Dominican Republic for one year without bail until his shooting case goes to trial.
His lawyers, who are being bankrolled by former Orioles teammate Miguel Tejada, intend to appeal the ruling, so we probably haven’t heard the last of this.
In case you haven’t heard, Simon reportedly fired two bullets into the air during on New Year’s Eve, killing 25-year-old Micheal Esteban Castillo and wounding Castillo’s 17-year-old half-brother.
The Orioles reliever has maintained that the shooting was an accident and that the victim was a friend.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)