Jan 4, 2011, 8:30 AM EST
I’ve mentioned Dirk Hayhurst here before. For those who missed it or forgot, Hayhurst — known on Twitter and elsewhere as @TheGarfoose — is a mostly minor league pitcher, most notable to us for having written “The Bullpen Gospels.”
The book was published last year, and it’s a great one. Sort of a “Ball Four” for the modern age, inasmuch as it (a) gives a great behind-the-scenes look at how a baseball team works; and (b) pairs that stuff up with the mature and reflective observations of a none-too-typical ballplayer. Plus, like me, Hayhurst lives in Ohio and there’s a lot to be said for that.
Mostly a minor leaguer, Hayhurst has 25 major league appearances under his belt, split between San Diego and Toronto. He sat out last season following arm surgery. He announced on his blog last night, however, that the Blue Jays are going to let him go. He’s nothing but complimentary to the Jays as an organization and Toronto as a city. It’s a great post and definitely worth your time. In many ways it’s “Bullpen Gospels” writ-small. Hayhurst may not be a future Cy Young winner, but he observes and thinks about everything. I get the sense he’s getting more out of his journey through professional baseball than the guys who win awards and make millions.
I also hope that his (near) hometown team Indians take a chance on him. Mostly because that means he’ll likely start the year here in Columbus, and I can take him out for a beer.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)