Jan 4, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
I’ve mentioned Dirk Hayhurst here before. For those who missed it or forgot, Hayhurst — known on Twitter and elsewhere as @TheGarfoose — is a mostly minor league pitcher, most notable to us for having written “The Bullpen Gospels.”
The book was published last year, and it’s a great one. Sort of a “Ball Four” for the modern age, inasmuch as it (a) gives a great behind-the-scenes look at how a baseball team works; and (b) pairs that stuff up with the mature and reflective observations of a none-too-typical ballplayer. Plus, like me, Hayhurst lives in Ohio and there’s a lot to be said for that.
Mostly a minor leaguer, Hayhurst has 25 major league appearances under his belt, split between San Diego and Toronto. He sat out last season following arm surgery. He announced on his blog last night, however, that the Blue Jays are going to let him go. He’s nothing but complimentary to the Jays as an organization and Toronto as a city. It’s a great post and definitely worth your time. In many ways it’s “Bullpen Gospels” writ-small. Hayhurst may not be a future Cy Young winner, but he observes and thinks about everything. I get the sense he’s getting more out of his journey through professional baseball than the guys who win awards and make millions.
I also hope that his (near) hometown team Indians take a chance on him. Mostly because that means he’ll likely start the year here in Columbus, and I can take him out for a beer.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)