Jan 4, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
I’ve mentioned Dirk Hayhurst here before. For those who missed it or forgot, Hayhurst — known on Twitter and elsewhere as @TheGarfoose — is a mostly minor league pitcher, most notable to us for having written “The Bullpen Gospels.”
The book was published last year, and it’s a great one. Sort of a “Ball Four” for the modern age, inasmuch as it (a) gives a great behind-the-scenes look at how a baseball team works; and (b) pairs that stuff up with the mature and reflective observations of a none-too-typical ballplayer. Plus, like me, Hayhurst lives in Ohio and there’s a lot to be said for that.
Mostly a minor leaguer, Hayhurst has 25 major league appearances under his belt, split between San Diego and Toronto. He sat out last season following arm surgery. He announced on his blog last night, however, that the Blue Jays are going to let him go. He’s nothing but complimentary to the Jays as an organization and Toronto as a city. It’s a great post and definitely worth your time. In many ways it’s “Bullpen Gospels” writ-small. Hayhurst may not be a future Cy Young winner, but he observes and thinks about everything. I get the sense he’s getting more out of his journey through professional baseball than the guys who win awards and make millions.
I also hope that his (near) hometown team Indians take a chance on him. Mostly because that means he’ll likely start the year here in Columbus, and I can take him out for a beer.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)