Jan 4, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
I’ve mentioned Dirk Hayhurst here before. For those who missed it or forgot, Hayhurst — known on Twitter and elsewhere as @TheGarfoose — is a mostly minor league pitcher, most notable to us for having written “The Bullpen Gospels.”
The book was published last year, and it’s a great one. Sort of a “Ball Four” for the modern age, inasmuch as it (a) gives a great behind-the-scenes look at how a baseball team works; and (b) pairs that stuff up with the mature and reflective observations of a none-too-typical ballplayer. Plus, like me, Hayhurst lives in Ohio and there’s a lot to be said for that.
Mostly a minor leaguer, Hayhurst has 25 major league appearances under his belt, split between San Diego and Toronto. He sat out last season following arm surgery. He announced on his blog last night, however, that the Blue Jays are going to let him go. He’s nothing but complimentary to the Jays as an organization and Toronto as a city. It’s a great post and definitely worth your time. In many ways it’s “Bullpen Gospels” writ-small. Hayhurst may not be a future Cy Young winner, but he observes and thinks about everything. I get the sense he’s getting more out of his journey through professional baseball than the guys who win awards and make millions.
I also hope that his (near) hometown team Indians take a chance on him. Mostly because that means he’ll likely start the year here in Columbus, and I can take him out for a beer.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)