The Garfoose bids Toronto adieu

Jan 4, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT

Dirk Hayhurst

I’ve mentioned Dirk Hayhurst here before.  For those who missed it or forgot, Hayhurst — known on Twitter and elsewhere as @TheGarfoose — is a mostly minor league pitcher, most notable to us for having written “The Bullpen Gospels.”

The book was published last year, and it’s a great one. Sort of a “Ball Four” for the modern age, inasmuch as it (a) gives a great behind-the-scenes look at how a baseball team works; and (b) pairs that stuff up with the mature and reflective observations of a none-too-typical ballplayer.  Plus, like me, Hayhurst lives in Ohio and there’s a lot to be said for that.

Mostly a minor leaguer, Hayhurst has 25 major league appearances under his belt, split between San Diego and Toronto. He sat out last season following arm surgery. He announced on his blog last night, however, that the Blue Jays are going to let him go.  He’s nothing but complimentary to the Jays as an organization and Toronto as a city. It’s a great post and definitely worth your time.  In many ways it’s “Bullpen Gospels” writ-small. Hayhurst may not be a future Cy Young winner, but he observes and thinks about everything. I get the sense he’s getting more out of his journey through professional baseball than the guys who win awards and make millions.

I also hope that his (near) hometown team Indians take a chance on him. Mostly because that means he’ll likely start the year here in Columbus, and I can take him out for a beer.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Hathurst’s long term future is in writing. I can envisage more books as well as sports columns in his future.

2. uppsalauppsala - Jan 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Dirk Hayhurst might not be the best on any stats sheets but he’s among the absolute best in my household as far as ballplayers go. His book is great & meeting him at a book signing was a treat. He’s won a lot of fans here in Toronto & he’ll be missed.

3. dlf9 - Jan 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Craig ~ You need to reread Gospels. Because of issues with family members’ abuse of it, neither Hayhust, nor the Garfoose, drinks. But I’d love to sit down and talk with him about his approach to life and pitching while saving the fermented corn for a chat with an ex-attorney.

For what its worth, I enjoyed his short form articles in Baseball America (“The Non-Prospect Diary”) more than the book. He seemed to wander a bit in his prose in the longer form. But I certainly enjoyed both and recommend the book to a number of family and friends.

And knowing the desire for page hits and comments, I’m mildly surprised that you didn’t link to his take on DADT.

• mrfloydpink - Jan 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Actually, you are the one who needs to reread. His rule was that he wouldn’t drink until his brother stopped. When his brother stopped at the end of the book, he had his first beer.

4. Chris K - Jan 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Who am I going to follow on Twitter now?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5080)