The Mariners may not formally replace Dave Niehaus any time soon

Jan 4, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Dave Niehaus

How do you replace a broadcasting legend?  As Larry LaRue reports, the Seattle Mariners may just avoid a replacement for the late great Dave Niehaus altogether:

Out of respect for Niehaus, his family and fans, the team has not conducted a single interview – and may not. Among the options the Mariners are considering is having only familiar faces and voices on their television and radio broadcasts next season, filling the airwaves with the presence of former players and broadcasters.

“That’s something we’ve talked about,” team vice president of communications Randy Admack said. “There’s a line of thought that we could make 2011 a transitional season for our fans.”

Not a bad idea.  Eventually you need a permanent replacement, but there’s nothing wrong with giving the fans and Niehaus’ colleagues a season to reflect and adjust to their unfortunate new reality.  Anyone who comes in, no matter how good a job they do, is going to be judged harshly and will fail to live up to what the fans want. Because, understandably, they want the impossible: they want Dave Niehaus back.

(thanks to Evan for the heads up)

1. BC - Jan 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Joe Morgan is available.

• IdahoMariner - Jan 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM

good god — bite your tongue! please, please, please no. a thousand times no. it’s already hard enough to be a mariners fan, then to lose to dave…what circle of hell would it be to have to contend with Joe Morgan?!

• BC - Jan 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

It would make the bashing doubly justified….

2. Utley's Hair - Jan 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The Phightins filled the HK void with TMac. Harry will never be replaced, but they had to do SOMEthing to counteract Wheels and Sarge. So they have TMac…and I mute the TV and listen to the Franzke and LA show.

3. clydeserra - Jan 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I am not a Mariner fan, but I lived in Seattle in the late 90s. Niehaus was very good on the radio then, but I never cottoned to him on TV.

I think the Mariner Idea is a good one. Their broadcast team seems to me to be rather consistent after Niehaus (I think they are equally not good).I think the dodgers should think about that when something happens there that shall not be mentioned.

I wish the A’s would have taken a year off with Bill King, but sadly, they never seem to have anyone that can be called terrible let alone bad or adequate when Ken Korach or Vince Cotroneo have to take a day off.

4. Lukehart80 - Jan 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Dave Niehaus was the announcer for “Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr.,” a great game for the Nintendo 64 system that I had in high school and college. I’ve had a soft spot for the man ever since. I’m an Indians’ fan who has never lived in Cleveland, and I’ve probably listened to Hawk Harrelson call more games than anyone else, so I can’t imagine what it would be like to have an announcer that felt irreplaceable. Like Ben Affleck in “Good Will Hunting,” I always hope that one day I’ll knock on the door, and Hawk will simply be gone, no note, no explanation, just gone.

• BC - Jan 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

It could be worse. I was stuck with Tim McCarver for years, and now I have Keith Hernandez.

5. Michael - Jan 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM

One Rick Rizzs can tell you what it’s like replacing a departed legend, having left Seattle briefly in the ’90s to take the place of Ernie Harwell.

Of course, Harwell hadn’t died, he was simply let go by Tom “The Other Pizza Guy, You Know, Whose Pizza Didn’t Have Real Cheese Until Just Now” Monaghan, which was part of the problem.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3336)