Jan 4, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
The only person who didn’t seem to know this was the New York Times’ Michael S. Schmidt, who continued to push this story even after multiple analysis of the situation made it quite clear that no rules had been violated. It was referred to as a “scandal.” Many non-specific people were described as voicing non-specific “concern.” There was the obligatory “these allegations come at a time” sentence, which was used to cast the whole thing in a negative light despite there being no actual connection between the complained-of activity and the contemporaneous evil.
As I noted multiple times when the story first broke, the whole thing smelled like a hit job to me. It was helped along by quoted agents who would love nothing more than to see Boras taken down a peg and anonymous Major League Baseball sources who have a clear interest in painting amateur free agency in the Dominican Republic as an awful thing. And now it’s over. I eagerly await Schmidt’s report on the matter.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)