Jan 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
After the back-and-forth on the Adrian Beltre deal I’m not 100% inclined to believe those who naysay a potential transaction, but this is worth noting: contrary to reports last night, Buster Olney says that the Rays are not close to trading Matt Garza and would rather trade him next summer at the deadline instead.
We’ve known the Rays and Cubs have been talking, but I’m a little dubious about those teams matching up well in a trade. The Cubs’ system is not fat with prospects, and it seems like the Rays could do better elsewhere. If Olney is right, they’ll try to do so next year.
It may be the smart play from a competitive standpoint too. I mean, I think the Rays are going to finish third in the division as we sit here today, but it’s possible that the Yankees will stumble out of the gate and the Rays could outperform expectations. If so, they’d probably prefer to have the pitching depth for a run at the playoffs, wouldn’t they?
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)