On Hall of Fame day, the BBWAA site got hacked

Jan 5, 2011, 8:58 AM EST

BBWAA site.bmp

This is what the BBWAA website looked like as of a couple of minutes ago.  I’m assuming that they’ve dispatched a crack team of technical experts to fix the problem and restore order.

Of course since, by definition, the IT experts are computer geeks I’m guessing half the BBWAA membership is leaning over their shoulders insulting them and telling them that they need to get out of their mothers’ basements once in a while as they try to fix the problem. Might make the fix take longer.

Anyway, I may have given the BBWAA a lot of hell recently, but I swear, I didn’t do it.  Larger screen-cap of the hack-job below.

1. JM Lattanzi - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I don’t know….I think this may have improved the BBWAA in some ways.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Not surprised. Their site is straight outta 1995

3. paperlions - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM

You know, that looks better than the site looked the last time I saw it…just as informative/useful, too.

4. Jonny 5 - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Tommy John did it after he realized Bert Blyleven will more than likely get into the HOF. Do the members of the bbwaa even know they screwed over TJ?

• Detroit Michael - Jan 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Tommy John has a weaker Hall of Fame case than Blyleven does. I’m not saying whether he ought to be in or out, but to say that he was “screwed over” seems harsh.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I don’t think so. I think his case may be equal or a tad stronger actually, just ignored by the BBWAA. I’ve said this before…

“In 26 seasons compared to Berts 22 he had less home runs allowed than Bert, less earned runs allowed, less walks allowed, and he pitched until he was 46 which messed with his lifetime totals. Also his hits allowed is only 150 hits higher in four more seasons (should be closer to 900 actually). Pretty impressive. Bert only beats him in SO and IP, so while more powerful, not really better imo.”

• Roger Moore - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Jonny5, that’s a terrible argument. Comparing their career length in seasons rather than innings is silly. Blyleven pitched about a full season’s worth of extra innings despite getting into fewer games and fewer starts, which shows he was pitching deeper into games despite getting less rest between starts. And because Blyleven had more innings, his slightly higher H, R, and ER totals actually turn into slightly better rates of production. When you account for their different pitching environments, Blyleven was substantially better, with an ERA+ of 118 compared to John’s 111.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Well, first off, I’m not making an argument. I just thought it was worth mentioning. I’m not a saber wiz by any stretch, and to be perfectly honest much of it when applied to pitching is foggy enough to myself that I won’t argue it anyway. You may be right.

Worth noting, his innings pitched did not differ from Berts much at all until he hit the ripe age of 42. By the age of 42 Bert had retired already. I find it very hard to penalize TJ for having the balls to stay with it for 4 more seasons. Wipe away the 4 final seasons and I see TJ as the better pitcher.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Looking back Bert did blow away TJ in innings pitched and obviously SO, but damned if he didn’t have an awesome career and maybe if Bert pitched less his Hits, HR, and BB totals would be better? But TJ did allow much less in terms of hits & HR in 4 extra seasons. His ERA adjusted is way under Berts though, which you mentioned and I wasn’t considering.

• Bochy's Head/Timmy's Bong - Jan 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Jonny,

I understand a certain skepticism with advanced stats (like WAR) when it comes to pitching. If two pitchers are close, take WAR with a large grain of salt. But it’s not close:

Career bWAR (courtesy Baseball Reference):
        BB: 87.6
        TJ: 57.0

Peak bWAR:
        BB: 9.2 (1973)
        TJ: 5.7 (1970)
        Blyleven has six seasons equal to or better than John’s best.

Seasons of 5+ bWAR:
        BB: 9
        TJ: 3

So both by peak levels and career totals, it’s not close.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I’m allergic to math actually making it impossible for me to study advanced metrics without eating a box of benadryl first. But I get the point. TJ was a great pitcher, BB was awesome. And I humbly concede to that. I’m super glad I brought it up because this has been nagging me for a few days actually. Pitching stats aren’t easy to weigh, and I can see how BBWAA members can get it so wrong. This is the kind of discussion that should take place between those voting, because most journalists will not get it right, because they can’t get it right.

5. BC - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM

It wasn’t me.
    I would have just posted some Drew Barrymore pics on the home page.

• Drew Barrymore - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Seriously, Boris…you need to stop stalking me. Would you stop stalking me if I bought you a chipwich?

• BC - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Most definitely but only if we can share it. :-*

6. Gaza Hacker Team - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM

youu no make jokes Mr. Craig Calcaterra. your SiteWeb willl be Defanced 3y MSS-GHOST next unless youu vote Mr. Jack Morris for Hall of Fame of Baseball!!!!1!!!

• Panda Claus - Jan 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Sorry Craig, but once I figured this comment out it seemed pretty funny.

7. sdelmonte - Jan 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Garza Hacker Team?

8. Utley's Hair - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It was Barry Stanton—he was trying to change his votes.

• Barry Stanton - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

That’s correct. I’ve also decided to cast a ballot for Lenny Harris. He’s a career 30 / 30 man (30 HR / 131 SB to be precise) and deserves enshrinement.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Lenny Harris? He was the tall one, right? Squiggy was the short one, right?

• BC - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Then I’m voting for Rex Hudler.

• Barry Stanton - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Yes, and if those pesky eligibility rules didn’t stand in my way (you mean to tell me that you need to have actually played baseball to get voted into the HOF? Hogwash!), then I’d vote for Squiggy, too. If only because of the hair.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I hear Squiggy likes cake, though.

• BC - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I was a Cindy Williams fan myself. But she has NOT aged well….

• Utley's Hair - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Between the two, the obvious choice is Cindy. But Joanie Cunningham…whoa… And Maryanne…

• BC - Jan 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Definitely Maryanne.

• Drew Barrymore - Jan 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM

So now you’re fantasizing about other women?

9. phukyouk - Jan 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM

If Armando Bentiez doesn’t make it in they should just close the HOF altogether.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4486)
  2. M. Kemp (3610)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2545)
  5. J. Kang (2432)
  1. J. Upton (2405)
  2. C. Headley (2143)
  3. A. Rios (2142)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1919)
  5. J. Peavy (1815)