Jan 5, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
I have a message for BBWAA members who continue to withhold votes from players who used, or are suspected of using, performance enhancers: Get off your @#*& high horse.
And that’s not from a godless blogger, mind you, it’s from ESPN’s Jim Caple. It comes at the start of a vitriol-filled rant against those who would bar the PED users from the Hall while the greenie-poppers, spitballers and segregationists are allowed to grace the hallowed halls. And it just goes on and on like that.
The arguments are not anything we haven’t heard from the Internet Zealots before, but it’s definitely the most pointed attack I’ve seen from a mainstream writer at a major outlet. Even those who are critical of the BBWAA stance — guys like Joe Posnanski — couch it in terms of “Misguided Voter X is a smart fellow and dear friend and I understand and respect his view, but …” Caple just rips.
It’s quite wonderful, actually.
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)