Jan 5, 2011, 11:06 AM EST
I have a message for BBWAA members who continue to withhold votes from players who used, or are suspected of using, performance enhancers: Get off your @#*& high horse.
And that’s not from a godless blogger, mind you, it’s from ESPN’s Jim Caple. It comes at the start of a vitriol-filled rant against those who would bar the PED users from the Hall while the greenie-poppers, spitballers and segregationists are allowed to grace the hallowed halls. And it just goes on and on like that.
The arguments are not anything we haven’t heard from the Internet Zealots before, but it’s definitely the most pointed attack I’ve seen from a mainstream writer at a major outlet. Even those who are critical of the BBWAA stance — guys like Joe Posnanski — couch it in terms of “Misguided Voter X is a smart fellow and dear friend and I understand and respect his view, but …” Caple just rips.
It’s quite wonderful, actually.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (152)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)