Jan 5, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
I have a message for BBWAA members who continue to withhold votes from players who used, or are suspected of using, performance enhancers: Get off your @#*& high horse.
And that’s not from a godless blogger, mind you, it’s from ESPN’s Jim Caple. It comes at the start of a vitriol-filled rant against those who would bar the PED users from the Hall while the greenie-poppers, spitballers and segregationists are allowed to grace the hallowed halls. And it just goes on and on like that.
The arguments are not anything we haven’t heard from the Internet Zealots before, but it’s definitely the most pointed attack I’ve seen from a mainstream writer at a major outlet. Even those who are critical of the BBWAA stance — guys like Joe Posnanski — couch it in terms of “Misguided Voter X is a smart fellow and dear friend and I understand and respect his view, but …” Caple just rips.
It’s quite wonderful, actually.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)