Jan 5, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
I have a message for BBWAA members who continue to withhold votes from players who used, or are suspected of using, performance enhancers: Get off your @#*& high horse.
And that’s not from a godless blogger, mind you, it’s from ESPN’s Jim Caple. It comes at the start of a vitriol-filled rant against those who would bar the PED users from the Hall while the greenie-poppers, spitballers and segregationists are allowed to grace the hallowed halls. And it just goes on and on like that.
The arguments are not anything we haven’t heard from the Internet Zealots before, but it’s definitely the most pointed attack I’ve seen from a mainstream writer at a major outlet. Even those who are critical of the BBWAA stance — guys like Joe Posnanski — couch it in terms of “Misguided Voter X is a smart fellow and dear friend and I understand and respect his view, but …” Caple just rips.
It’s quite wonderful, actually.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)