Jan 5, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Last year at this time the Red Sox and Rangers were close to a deal that would have sent Mike Lowell (and some salary relief) to Texas for minor leaguer Max Ramirez, but the trade was nixed because Lowell needed thumb surgery in addition to his hip problems.
Lowell ended up staying in Boston and hit just .239 with a .674 OPS in 244 plate appearances as a part-time player, and today the Red Sox wound up with Ramirez anyway by claiming him off waivers from the Rangers.
Texas needed 40-man roster space after signing Adrian Beltre and Brandon Webb, and Ramirez is coming off an extremely disappointing season at Triple-A that saw him hit just .286 with three homers in 56 games.
Ramirez has put up some big numbers in the minors, but he’s been largely ineffective for the past two seasons, is already 26 years old, and reviews of his defense behind the plate suggest he’s more of a designated hitter than a catcher. Boston has clearly liked him for a while now and he’s certainly worth a waiver claim, but at the same time it’s tough to blame Texas for giving up on Ramirez.
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)