Jan 5, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Last year at this time the Red Sox and Rangers were close to a deal that would have sent Mike Lowell (and some salary relief) to Texas for minor leaguer Max Ramirez, but the trade was nixed because Lowell needed thumb surgery in addition to his hip problems.
Lowell ended up staying in Boston and hit just .239 with a .674 OPS in 244 plate appearances as a part-time player, and today the Red Sox wound up with Ramirez anyway by claiming him off waivers from the Rangers.
Texas needed 40-man roster space after signing Adrian Beltre and Brandon Webb, and Ramirez is coming off an extremely disappointing season at Triple-A that saw him hit just .286 with three homers in 56 games.
Ramirez has put up some big numbers in the minors, but he’s been largely ineffective for the past two seasons, is already 26 years old, and reviews of his defense behind the plate suggest he’s more of a designated hitter than a catcher. Boston has clearly liked him for a while now and he’s certainly worth a waiver claim, but at the same time it’s tough to blame Texas for giving up on Ramirez.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?