Jan 6, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
While keeping in mind that the statements of prosecutors in high-profile criminal cases mere days after the event are often calculated to influence the potential jury pool and make the suspect seem as guilty as hell, this looks kinda bad for Alfredo Simon:
A Dominican prosecutor handling the case of Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon said Wednesday the “trigger-happy” pitcher might have changed the barrel of a gun he turned over to authorities as a way of disguising his involvement in a fatal New Year’s Dayshooting.
He says that the serial number on the weapon’s barrel does not match numbers on the rest of the gun, which suggests that Simon swapped the original barrel for another in between the shooting and the time the gun (and Simon) was taken into custody. Which, if true, means that those ballistics tests everyone was waiting on may mean nothing now.
I don’t think Simon is going anywhere anytime soon.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)