Jan 6, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
While keeping in mind that the statements of prosecutors in high-profile criminal cases mere days after the event are often calculated to influence the potential jury pool and make the suspect seem as guilty as hell, this looks kinda bad for Alfredo Simon:
A Dominican prosecutor handling the case of Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon said Wednesday the “trigger-happy” pitcher might have changed the barrel of a gun he turned over to authorities as a way of disguising his involvement in a fatal New Year’s Dayshooting.
He says that the serial number on the weapon’s barrel does not match numbers on the rest of the gun, which suggests that Simon swapped the original barrel for another in between the shooting and the time the gun (and Simon) was taken into custody. Which, if true, means that those ballistics tests everyone was waiting on may mean nothing now.
I don’t think Simon is going anywhere anytime soon.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)