Jan 6, 2011, 8:16 PM EST
Brian Bannister is taking his talents to… Japan.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the 29-year-old right-hander has agreed to a one-year contract with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan’s Central League. The deal also carries an option for 2012.
Bannister drew very little interest from major league clubs this offseason after posting an ugly 6.34 ERA and 1.63 WHIP over 127.2 innings of work for the Royals last year. He struck out only 77 batters and walked 50 while working both as a starter and reliever. Kansas City cut ties with him in early November by outrighting him off their 40-man roster.
The former Mets draft pick is still plenty young and could be back in the states at some point down the road.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)