Jan 6, 2011, 8:16 PM EDT
Brian Bannister is taking his talents to… Japan.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the 29-year-old right-hander has agreed to a one-year contract with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan’s Central League. The deal also carries an option for 2012.
Bannister drew very little interest from major league clubs this offseason after posting an ugly 6.34 ERA and 1.63 WHIP over 127.2 innings of work for the Royals last year. He struck out only 77 batters and walked 50 while working both as a starter and reliever. Kansas City cut ties with him in early November by outrighting him off their 40-man roster.
The former Mets draft pick is still plenty young and could be back in the states at some point down the road.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39