Jan 6, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
Now that the Rangers are “out” on re-signing Vladimir Guerrero there have been conflicting reports about his chances of returning to the Angels, but yesterday manager Mike Scioscia indicated during a radio interview that it remains a possibility:
Well, Vladdy’s been one of the guys obviously we’ve talked about for a while, and I think it’s the same situation. Vlad signed with the Rangers before last season because he was looking for a multi-year deal, a big deal at the time. We had to make a decision.
There was no way to commit to three or four years with Vlad, that we could go that route. If it is the same situation right now, obviously, nothing much would change, but he’s definitely a guy that’s very interesting to look at. I just don’t know if that extended deal is out there that he was looking for last year, a three- or four-year deal.
In other words, if he wants to accept a one-year deal the Angels could be interested. If not, they won’t be.
Scioscia talking about Guerrero looking for big multi-year deals is odd, because last offseason he managed only a one-year, $6.5 million contract with the Rangers and there’s little to suggest he’s capable of getting a bigger offer this winter. There are limited suitors for a 36-year-old designated hitter who looked absolutely brutal in his few appearances as an outfielder, particularly with the Rangers dropping out, and Guerrero followed up a poor second half by hitting .220 with zero homers and a 16/2 K/BB ratio in 15 playoff games.
If the Angels are interested and have $5 million to spare, they can probably make a reunion happen.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)