Jan 6, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
Now that the Rangers are “out” on re-signing Vladimir Guerrero there have been conflicting reports about his chances of returning to the Angels, but yesterday manager Mike Scioscia indicated during a radio interview that it remains a possibility:
Well, Vladdy’s been one of the guys obviously we’ve talked about for a while, and I think it’s the same situation. Vlad signed with the Rangers before last season because he was looking for a multi-year deal, a big deal at the time. We had to make a decision.
There was no way to commit to three or four years with Vlad, that we could go that route. If it is the same situation right now, obviously, nothing much would change, but he’s definitely a guy that’s very interesting to look at. I just don’t know if that extended deal is out there that he was looking for last year, a three- or four-year deal.
In other words, if he wants to accept a one-year deal the Angels could be interested. If not, they won’t be.
Scioscia talking about Guerrero looking for big multi-year deals is odd, because last offseason he managed only a one-year, $6.5 million contract with the Rangers and there’s little to suggest he’s capable of getting a bigger offer this winter. There are limited suitors for a 36-year-old designated hitter who looked absolutely brutal in his few appearances as an outfielder, particularly with the Rangers dropping out, and Guerrero followed up a poor second half by hitting .220 with zero homers and a 16/2 K/BB ratio in 15 playoff games.
If the Angels are interested and have $5 million to spare, they can probably make a reunion happen.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)