Peter Moylan may or may not be in the best shape of his life

Jan 6, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT

New York Mets v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

I’ve been checking in and out of the blog of Braves reliever Peter Moylan all winter.  Being a Braves fan I was happy to learn back in November that Moylan — not exactly a man with abs of steel — was on a bigtime conditioning program.  Given that Bobby Cox worked Moylan to death these past few years — throwing him in 80+ games immediately after he came back from Tommy John surgery — conditioning is probably pretty important for him as he gets older.

Imagine my shock and horror, however, when I saw this tweet from him this afternoon, back in Georgia after flying in from Australia a couple of days ago:

Jet lag is kicking my butt. Woke up at 3am yesterday and 5am today. Thank god for Waffle House

Ahhh!  You can’t do that Peter! We shlubs can get that scattered-smothered-chunked-and-diced goodness when we need it, but you’re a professional athlete! We need you to get those tough outs against the Phillies! That is, if they ever get a righty who can hit worth a damn!

I tweeted my alarm, and thankfully, within minutes, Moylan set my mind at ease:

@craigcalcaterra egg whites and dry wheat toast!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness.

When does spring training start?

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Dude, Moylan was striking out their lefties as he willed anyway. Him with his damn tricky sidearm, or whatever you call it. I’m shocked his arm hasn’t fallen off yet.

Oh yeah, Egg whites and dry toast are no food for a pitcher. CHEESESTEAKS BABY!!! the food of champions.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Any encased meat will do.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I’m afraid to comment on this further El bravo… You’ve scared me stiff… awww.. no, straight.. I mean, damn…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Put that kielbasa away!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Amen, brother. Nothing quite as nutritious and comforting as a good roll with meat, cheese, fried onions and grease.

2. BC - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Well, if that shape is round, then he’s all set.

3. Utley's Hair - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

“I’ve been checking in and out of the blog of Braves reliever Peter Moylan all winter.”

I’ve been checking in and out of consciousness for the past few hours. When the hell is this day going to end?

4. grumpy00 - Jan 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Eggwhites and toast……….how bout scrambled with cheese and smothered covered and peppered and some grits. Dang, now I’m hungry.

5. cull1224 - Jan 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Anyone know if the new Braves regime kept Pendleton as hitting coach or are they going with some new blood (I hope)???

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Pendelton is out. New hitting coach is Larry Parrish.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate