Jan 6, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
Rob Neyer does some back-of-the-envelope figuring and determines that, come 2014, there may be 21 Hall of Fame-quality players on the ballot. Most of them will be kept out because of PED prejudice, but will garner enough support to where it will likely erode support for the non-PED users who are viewed by many as lesser candidates. Backlog city. Rob goes on:
Has anyone even begun to consider the implications? Has the Hall of Fame’s board of directors considered the implications? Have the BBWAA’s Hall of Fame voters considered the implications of having more than 20 strong Hall of Fame candidates on the ballot?
The only way to break through this logjam is to start electing more than one or two candidates every year. And the only way to elect more than one or two per year is to reconsider this infantile, ahistorical, asinine version of morality that seems to have quite suddenly afflicted a huge percentage of the voters.
Yep. And as we discussed this morning, no one in a position to do anything about it seems to care.
Rob is not pessimistic about it, though. He thinks something will give, be it a current Hall of Famer being revealed to be a PED user, one PED guy sneaking in past the goalie or whatever. I hope he’s right.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)