Rafael Soriano is willing to be a setup man for the Yankees

Jan 6, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT

Rafael Soriano Rays

Rafael Soriano‘s agent, Scott Boras, told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that the former Rays closer would be willing to serve as a setup man on the Yankees, saying “that door is open for a number of different reasons.”

Here’s more from Boras on Soriano’s potential interest in setting up Mariano Rivera in New York:

I don’t think there is a team in baseball where he could be asked to be a setup guy other than the Yankees. There is also a value in playing with Mariano Rivera.

All of which sounds good, but my guess is most of Soriano’s potential interest in being a setup man for the Yankees depends on their willingness to pay him like a closer and the entire scenario is only a realistic option because he’s found the market lacking in multi-year offers to close elsewhere.

As a Type A free agent the team that signs Soriano will have to forfeit a first-round draft pick and his history of arm problems may also have scared some teams off, but he’s been healthy in back-to-back seasons and was a dominant reliever even before getting a chance to be a full-time closer in Tampa Bay, posting a 2.73 ERA with 422 strikeouts in 395 career innings.

1. phukyouk - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Three yrs 24 Mil im all for it

2. pisano - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Please dear God let this happen! when Mo retires Soriano steps right in. I’ve been hoping for this ever since the end of the season.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM

To phukyouk & pisano – I agree with both of you. Even if the Yankees only get 2 useful years out of him and have to eat the 3rd year of a contract it’s worth it for $8M per. After all if the Yankees could throw away $6M on Nick Johnson and what looks like $4M on Marte they can certainly afford Soriano and any potential downside. “JUST DO IT”.
    Then they work out a trade for a #3 if Andy doesn’t come back and still be below their 2010 opening day payroll figures.

4. phukyouk - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM

all im going to say for the next lifetime is KIE IGWANA

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I might have to get that for a license plate.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

boooo, he was my saves guy last fantasy baseball season…holds suck!

• Bochy's Head/Timmy's Bong - Jan 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I’m with ya’. I rode Soriano and Wagner to a championship in my dynasty league (I know… who cares, right? I DO!!!) If Soriano goes to the Yankees, somebody better damn-well slap Wagner around ’til he un-retires!

6. phukyouk - Jan 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’m just waiting for some to call us idiots for our logic about how jst cause they threw away money on those ddd’s they shouldnt keep doing it. But let’s be honest. Until hank or hal run the team into the ground they’re gouging to keep up with the “hey its only paper anyway, right” theory.

7. baseballstars - Jan 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM

From a fantasy perspective, I hate this. I had Soriano on almost all of my fantasy teams, and at a reasonable price. He’s dominant.

From a fan of the Yankees perspective, I love this. Soriano is as dominant as any reliever out there, and the Yankees need pitching help. And if something happens to Mo, he’s the best replacement we’ll get.

8. uyf1950 - Jan 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM

If Soriano is still on the market when Pettitte has finally come to a decision about playing don’t be surprised if Soriano is wearing Yankee pinstripes in 2011 and beyond.

• pisano - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope Cashman comes out of his hibernation, it’s about time for an over due big splash.

9. mtner77 - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Most here know that I am not a Yankees’ fan. That being said, I think that this would be a smart thing for Cashman to do.

The Yanks return nearly the same offense, that led the league in 2010. Their problem this off-season? Starting pitching of course. If Cashman were to build instead an untouchable bullpen? What would happen? AJ blows up in the 5th? Not a problem. The pen will handle it. On the days C.C., Hughes, and Andy are pitching (yes, I truely beleave he will be back), everyone in the pen besides Mo likely gets the night off. I think it would be borderline genious.

After Lee signed with Philly, I was shocked that Cashman did not go hard after every top releaver on the market. It seems, at least to me, that it would have been the best strategy. But maybe that is why I am not the GM of the best team in baseball, and Cashman is.

10. cmd11b - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Im a Phillies fan..sorry, dont boo me but if the Yanks get him thats awesome…He is electric and just makes that Yanks pen a beast, wish we had Soriano over some of our relievers…Def good deal for Yankee nation

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet