Jan 6, 2011, 4:52 PM EST
Rafael Soriano‘s agent, Scott Boras, told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that the former Rays closer would be willing to serve as a setup man on the Yankees, saying “that door is open for a number of different reasons.”
Here’s more from Boras on Soriano’s potential interest in setting up Mariano Rivera in New York:
I don’t think there is a team in baseball where he could be asked to be a setup guy other than the Yankees. There is also a value in playing with Mariano Rivera.
All of which sounds good, but my guess is most of Soriano’s potential interest in being a setup man for the Yankees depends on their willingness to pay him like a closer and the entire scenario is only a realistic option because he’s found the market lacking in multi-year offers to close elsewhere.
As a Type A free agent the team that signs Soriano will have to forfeit a first-round draft pick and his history of arm problems may also have scared some teams off, but he’s been healthy in back-to-back seasons and was a dominant reliever even before getting a chance to be a full-time closer in Tampa Bay, posting a 2.73 ERA with 422 strikeouts in 395 career innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)