Jan 6, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A reader tipped me that Edgar Renteria‘s hometown newspaper was reporting that he has signed a deal with the Reds. I had no idea what Renteria’s hometown was, so I asked someone on Twitter and a couple clicks later I found this story:
El pelotero barranquillero Édgar Rentería jugará con los Rojos de Cincinnati la temporada de 2011 en el béisbol de las Grandes Ligas. El Jugador Más Valioso de la Serie Mundial 2010 con los Gigantes de San Francisco, firmó un contrato de tres millones de dólares por un año más bonificaciones por logros obtenidos.
I plunked it into Google translate, which thought that “milliones” was “billion” for some reason, when it’s clearly not, so whatever. I can fake my way through that Spanish enough to figure out that they’re reporting that it’s a three million dollar deal for one year. Not sure if that means “plus incentives” or “with incentives” at the end, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough.
No word from the team or anyone stateside. We’ll obviously update when there’s some confirmation.
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported this a few minutes ago. Hadn’t seen it.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)