Jan 6, 2011, 2:35 PM EST
A reader tipped me that Edgar Renteria‘s hometown newspaper was reporting that he has signed a deal with the Reds. I had no idea what Renteria’s hometown was, so I asked someone on Twitter and a couple clicks later I found this story:
El pelotero barranquillero Édgar Rentería jugará con los Rojos de Cincinnati la temporada de 2011 en el béisbol de las Grandes Ligas. El Jugador Más Valioso de la Serie Mundial 2010 con los Gigantes de San Francisco, firmó un contrato de tres millones de dólares por un año más bonificaciones por logros obtenidos.
I plunked it into Google translate, which thought that “milliones” was “billion” for some reason, when it’s clearly not, so whatever. I can fake my way through that Spanish enough to figure out that they’re reporting that it’s a three million dollar deal for one year. Not sure if that means “plus incentives” or “with incentives” at the end, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough.
No word from the team or anyone stateside. We’ll obviously update when there’s some confirmation.
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported this a few minutes ago. Hadn’t seen it.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)