Jan 6, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A reader tipped me that Edgar Renteria‘s hometown newspaper was reporting that he has signed a deal with the Reds. I had no idea what Renteria’s hometown was, so I asked someone on Twitter and a couple clicks later I found this story:
El pelotero barranquillero Édgar Rentería jugará con los Rojos de Cincinnati la temporada de 2011 en el béisbol de las Grandes Ligas. El Jugador Más Valioso de la Serie Mundial 2010 con los Gigantes de San Francisco, firmó un contrato de tres millones de dólares por un año más bonificaciones por logros obtenidos.
I plunked it into Google translate, which thought that “milliones” was “billion” for some reason, when it’s clearly not, so whatever. I can fake my way through that Spanish enough to figure out that they’re reporting that it’s a three million dollar deal for one year. Not sure if that means “plus incentives” or “with incentives” at the end, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough.
No word from the team or anyone stateside. We’ll obviously update when there’s some confirmation.
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported this a few minutes ago. Hadn’t seen it.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona