Jan 6, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A reader tipped me that Edgar Renteria‘s hometown newspaper was reporting that he has signed a deal with the Reds. I had no idea what Renteria’s hometown was, so I asked someone on Twitter and a couple clicks later I found this story:
El pelotero barranquillero Édgar Rentería jugará con los Rojos de Cincinnati la temporada de 2011 en el béisbol de las Grandes Ligas. El Jugador Más Valioso de la Serie Mundial 2010 con los Gigantes de San Francisco, firmó un contrato de tres millones de dólares por un año más bonificaciones por logros obtenidos.
I plunked it into Google translate, which thought that “milliones” was “billion” for some reason, when it’s clearly not, so whatever. I can fake my way through that Spanish enough to figure out that they’re reporting that it’s a three million dollar deal for one year. Not sure if that means “plus incentives” or “with incentives” at the end, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough.
No word from the team or anyone stateside. We’ll obviously update when there’s some confirmation.
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported this a few minutes ago. Hadn’t seen it.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)