Jan 6, 2011, 2:35 PM EST
A reader tipped me that Edgar Renteria‘s hometown newspaper was reporting that he has signed a deal with the Reds. I had no idea what Renteria’s hometown was, so I asked someone on Twitter and a couple clicks later I found this story:
El pelotero barranquillero Édgar Rentería jugará con los Rojos de Cincinnati la temporada de 2011 en el béisbol de las Grandes Ligas. El Jugador Más Valioso de la Serie Mundial 2010 con los Gigantes de San Francisco, firmó un contrato de tres millones de dólares por un año más bonificaciones por logros obtenidos.
I plunked it into Google translate, which thought that “milliones” was “billion” for some reason, when it’s clearly not, so whatever. I can fake my way through that Spanish enough to figure out that they’re reporting that it’s a three million dollar deal for one year. Not sure if that means “plus incentives” or “with incentives” at the end, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough.
No word from the team or anyone stateside. We’ll obviously update when there’s some confirmation.
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported this a few minutes ago. Hadn’t seen it.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)