Scott Boras brokers the smallest deal of his career

Jan 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT

Boras thinking

Great anecdote regarding Adrian Beltre‘s signing with the Rangers in today’s Star-Telegram:

Adrian Beltre has worn jersey No. 29 almost his entire 13-year career. Julio Borbon has worn it his entire two-year career.Guess who is will wear it in 2011?

Scott Boras, who represents both players, handled the situation.

“I said, ‘Julio, there are traditions in the game, and I’ve got good news and bad news,'” Boras recalled. “‘The bad news is that the veteran player gets the number. The good news is that I am your advocate in negotiating with a very wealthy player to get you a very nice watch.”

Borbon will wear No. 20.

And I assume that Boras gets to wear the watch two days a week.

As far as negotiations over numbers go, however, there never was anyone better than Jeff Feagles, the former NFL punter.  Feagles wore number 17 for the Giants when Plaxico Burress came to town.  Feagles got Burress to pay for an outdoor kitchen at his vacation home in Phoenix in exchange for it. Before that, Feagles was number 10 when Eli Manning joined the team.  He got Manning to send the Feagles family on a vacation to Florida in order to give it up.

Feagles should probably just open his own consulting business focusing on numbers exchanges.

1. stevejeltzjehricurl - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I liked John Kruk’s tale about giving up his number to Mitch Williams, as told to Letterman:

D: Well, you tell me how you got to be 29.

J: I had number 28, and we made a trade for Mitch Williams. I saw where Rickey Henderson gave a guy $25,000 for a number; well, I got two cases of beer. So Mitch got number 28…

D: Why did he want 29?

J: He wanted 28.

D: He wanted 28, I’m sorry.

J: Because his wife had a bunch of jewelry with number 28 on it.

D: Oh, that’s beautiful stuff. The big 28 earrings, a lovely touch.

J: The best part about it is now is, he got divorced, he wears number 99, and the two cases of beer are gone.

D: Oh, that’s too bad.

J: It’s a sad story.

2. IdahoMariner - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

People still use watches? Huh.
    He should have negotiated for a season pass of violence-free head rubs.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Good point. I have worn a watch exactly once since November 2009. That was when I went to a wedding last April and my wife said I looked funny in a suit without one. BTW: last April was also the last time I wore a suit.

• IdahoMariner - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

It’s not polite to brag, Craig…. I wish every day was jeans day. sigh. (bangs head against office wall)

• sdelmonte - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM

My watch has a battery that lasts a lot longer than the one on my cellphone. Also, I like having it on my wrist.

Call me when we have Dick Tracy wrist-sized smart phones. Which is probably in about two weeks, given the speed of tech.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

But then again, weren’t we supposed to have flying cars by now? I want the Jetsons one that folds up into a briefcase—though I’d probably leave it at my desk when I was heading home, or in the living room when I was heading out.

3. sdelmonte - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Not to talk about that other sport much but I miss Jeff Feagles. (Me, and every other Giants fan.)

• kinggeorge96 - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

amen….

• Utley's Hair - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You didn’t seem to like him much when he was wearing green for the team that rhymes with his name.

4. uyf1950 - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM

This is a little off the topic of watches but not off the topic of Boras. What’s going on with Soriano? Boras doesn’t have any high profile players left in FA shouldn’t we be hearing something?

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Borbon: There’s a mystery watch in play

Soriano: Just a regular old mystery team

5. Chipmaker - Jan 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Does Boras represent anyone outside of baseball? Just wonderin’….

• uyf1950 - Jan 6, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I don’t know. But I think Drew Rosenhaus represent Scott Boras in his contract deals.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey