Jan 6, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Twins are nearing agreement on a contract with free agent right-hander Carl Pavano and it might be for only two years.
Pavano was thought to be on the hunt for a three-year deal pretty much all winter and might have landed one from a non-contender like the Nationals or Pirates, but he has opted instead to stay with 2010 American League Central champs.
The 34-year-old — actually, 35 just two days from now — posted a solid 3.75 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 32 starts last season, earning a 17-11 record while striking out 117 batters and walking only 37 over 221 innings of work.
His numbers should remain excellent with another year inside of the new and critically acclaimed Target Field, which held home runs better than any other park in the majors last year with its high walls and deep dimensions.
The Twins are surely glad to have him back, especially at what appears to be a discount in total years. The financial details may present a different story, but paying a big salary over two seasons is quite a bit different than paying that same salary over three seasons. This is a victory for the Minnesota faithful.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)