Andy Pettitte is just chillaxin’

Jan 7, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

Know what job I’m glad I don’t have?  The “go hang out on the sidewalk in front of Andy Pettitte’s house and hope he comes out on his front porch and says something interesting” job:

Tanned and rested, Andy Pettitte stood on his front porch last night and answered the question on every Yankees fan’s mind: Do you know if you’re going to pitch this year?

“I don’t,” Pettitte told The Post fresh off his two-week vacation in Hawaii. “I’m just chilling out, hanging. I’m relaxing. If I had something, y’all would know. If I knew exactly what I was doing, y’all would know.”

Pettitte also said that New York is a funny place in that every time you say something everyone overreacts, which is why he hasn’t been saying anything.  Like I told ya this morning: the guy knows the city in which he’s spent most of his professional life.

He said that he wants the Yankees “to go, just go on.”  Sounds like two love-struck teenagers saying goodbye after a summer at the lake.

Great. I promised myself I wouldn’t cry. Talk amongst yourselves. I’ll give you a topic: The Andy Pettitte drama is neither a drama nor is it really about Andy Pettitte. Discuss.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM

[verklempt]

2. BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

If he was retiring he would have said it by now folks! He’s coming back. Bank on it. He certainly will, to the tune of $12 million or so…..

3. aarcraft - Jan 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM

My sources in Houston tell me he’s just chillin’ out, maxin’, relaxin’ all cool. Others reported they saw him playing some b-ball outside of the school. Smart money is on the Dodgers.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Let’s hope those couple of guys that are up to no good don’t start makin’ trouble in his neighborhood.

4. marshmallowsnake - Jan 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Please retire Andy…it would only add to the great off-season that the Sox have been having!

5. Old Gator - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Craig is just trying to smoke the retired English teachers out. I ain’t fallin’ for it.

6. sdelmonte - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

All those reporters who camped out on Brett Favre’s lawn are just bored now.

7. ramsbladdercup - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM

This is perfect, I was going to comment on the last post something to this effect. The guy had a job that was everyday for 8 months or so. Now he gets his days off. As soon as he makes a decision it starts up agan. This leads me to believe the above commentor that it “seems”, based on this, that he is coming back. But he knows, once he signs, he has an employer and he’s back on the job again. I haven’t heard Cashman in a while, and maybe it would be common courtesy for AP to let him know, but with all the media leaks maybe he doesn’t even want to talk to Cashman and risk losing his “off season”.

8. xmatt0926x - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Andy, meet Mr. Favre. He says it feels real good when people constantly beg you to play 1 more year.

9. Glenn - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Beautiful stuff, Craig. Is there any better way to burn your career good will as an athlete than play the “teen-age girl looking for attention” angle.

10. proudlycanadian - Jan 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Roidger’s perjury trial is scheduled for July. Pettitte would be a witness. There is some speculation that the trial might be one reason for Pettitte to try to stay out of the limelight as much as possible.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4398)