Jan 7, 2011, 5:43 PM EST
Brian Fuentes has been linked to nearly a dozen teams this offseason while reportedly holding out for an opportunity to close and according to Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday the Blue Jays “rank among the most serious suitors for” the 35-year-old left-hander.
Toronto signed Octavio Dotel to a one-year, $3.5 million deal last week and the assumption was that he’d fill the closer role for the Blue Jays, but Davidoff writes that general manager Alex Antopoulos “will continue to explore the relief market” and Fuentes could fill the southpaw void created by Scott Downs leaving as a free agent.
Fuentes averaged 30 saves per season from 2005-2010, including a league-leading 48 for the Angels in 2009, and posted a 2.81 ERA with a 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings last season.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 10
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)