Jan 7, 2011, 9:47 PM EST
Carlos Delgado has undergone three hip surgeries since his last major league at-bat on May 9, 2009, but he’s not about to give up now. In fact, he told Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that he hopes to sign with a team in time to get some at-bats during spring training.
“I’d like to play but I’m not hitting, yet,” said Delgado, adding that he is five pounds under his playing weight.
“I just started running last week in San Juan. It’s tough to ask teams to come look at me. The first question they’ll ask is: ‘When can we see you hit?’ I don’t have an answer yet. Hopefully, it won’t be much longer.”
Of course, Delgado’s most recent comeback attempt didn’t last very long. He signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox last August and appeared in just five games with Triple-A Pawtucket before his left hip began to bother him. The 38-year-old slugger eventually underwent surgery in September.
Delgado is currently sitting on 473 career home runs and still hopes to become the first Puerto Rican to reach the 500-home run plateau. It’s hard to blame the guy for trying, but the odds are squarely against him at this point. He doesn’t have the durability to play first base on a regular basis anymore and there are already a wealth of DH options available in free agency. Barring something completely unexpected, he looks like a guy destined for the Hall of Very Good.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)