Carlos Delgado hopes to make another comeback attempt

Jan 7, 2011, 9:47 PM EDT

Carlos Delgado comeback

Carlos Delgado has undergone three hip surgeries since his last major league at-bat on May 9, 2009, but he’s not about to give up now. In fact, he told Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that he hopes to sign with a team in time to get some at-bats during spring training.

“I’d like to play but I’m not hitting, yet,” said Delgado, adding that he is five pounds under his playing weight.

“I just started running last week in San Juan. It’s tough to ask teams to come look at me. The first question they’ll ask is: ‘When can we see you hit?’ I don’t have an answer yet. Hopefully, it won’t be much longer.”

Of course, Delgado’s most recent comeback attempt didn’t last very long. He signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox last August and appeared in just five games with Triple-A Pawtucket before his left hip began to bother him. The 38-year-old slugger eventually underwent surgery in September.

Delgado is currently sitting on 473 career home runs and still hopes to become the first Puerto Rican to reach the 500-home run plateau. It’s hard to blame the guy for trying, but the odds are squarely against him at this point. He doesn’t have the durability to play first base on a regular basis anymore and there are already a wealth of DH options available in free agency. Barring something completely unexpected, he looks like a guy destined for the Hall of Very Good.

1. Glenn - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM

The Hall of Very Good should welcome him with open arms. I always respected his gutsy stance against jingoism and overall class.

• Old Gator - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Me too. When he played for the Feesh I once met him at an art gallery in Macondo and we had a nice chat about Caribbean painters – he is a very knowledgeable art collector, by the way – and discussed some Caribbean authors he likes, like CLR James, Alejo Carpentier and Derek Walcott. I just got a good feeling from the guy – friendly, eloquent, intelligent.

That, and anyone who got screwed over by Scrooge McLoria the way he did is a pal of mine.

• Glenn - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Old Gator – I forgot to emphasize his intelligence and culture. I really enjoy your personal anecdote illustrating this. I’m a sucker for anyone who appreciates art and literature, especially a professional athlete.

2. Old Gator - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM

“has undergone three hip surgeries,” DJ. Two points will be deducted from your final grade for that one.

• D.J. Short - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Thanks! Silly past participles…

3. elpendejo59 - Jan 8, 2011 at 4:05 AM

During the begining of the 2005 season, I had the privlege of being one of 4 men to install a home theater system in Mr. Delgado’s home in Aventura. There is not a friendlier, more personable superstar I have met- and I have met several. I was under the weather when I entered his home and I was carrying a bottle of Gatorade. He insisted I put it in his refridgerator and also offered anything in the fridge to us. There were many more acts of kindness- but to sum it up, Carlos Delgado is not only a kind man, but exemplifies those “clubhouse intangibles” so many of us (including myself, if this wasn’t my second post), would mock. He really is one of those “Good Guys.”

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3461)