Jan 7, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Last offseason the Mariners signed Chone Figgins and moved him to second base, a position he hadn’t played regularly since 2005.
It didn’t go well, as Figgins compounded his disappointing production at the plate by struggling defensively, with Ultimate Zone Rating pegging him as 12.3 runs below average.
Not surprisingly, with 2010 third baseman Jose Lopez traded to the Rockies and top second base prospect Dustin Ackley on the verge of the majors the Mariners have decided to shift Figgins back to third base.
The shift has been assumed since Seattle acquired Brendan Ryan last month to presumably keep second base warm until Ackley is ready, and general manager Jack Zduriencik told Kirby Arnold of the Everett Herald that he recently informed Figgins of the move.
Figgins at third base with Ryan at second base and Jack Wilson at shortstop is an elite defensive infield, although it won’t do much to help improve the Mariners’ historically awful offense. Ackley’s arrival should do that, at which point Ryan will likely shift into a utility role or split time with Wilson at shortstop.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)