Jan 7, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
Edgar Renteria‘s one-year deal with Cincinnati is expected to be finalized soon and yesterday he told ESPN Deportes that “the opportunity to keep playing shortstop full time … was the main reason to accept the offer from the Reds.”
However, as Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes earlier this week–and prior to reaching an agreement with Renteria–general manager Walt Jocketty replied “absolutely” when asked if Paul Janish would be the Reds’ starting shortstop and added: “Whoever we sign will be more of a complementary player able to play different positions and have experience.”
Janish is a poor hitter with a good glove, so Renteria was going to push him for the starting job either way, but in the span of just a few days Jocketty apparently changed his mind on Janish’s role or oversold Renteria on his likely role.
UPDATE: Dusty Baker was told of Renteria’s expectation that he’ll start and replied that “they’re both going to play” and “Janish deserves a chance to be my shortstop.” Based on Baker’s history of loving veterans, my guess is Renteria will be the everyday shortstop by about April 5.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)