Jan 7, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
This deal was announced earlier in the week, then denied, but now it’s officially official.
According to Kirby Arnold of the Everett Herald, the Mariners avoided arbitration with infielder Brendan Ryan by agreeing to a two-year contract.
Terms weren’t disclosed, but Stephen Hawkins of the Associated Press previously reported that Ryan agreed to a two-year, $2.75 million contract that would pay him $1 million this season and $1.75 million in 2012.
Ryan, who turns 29 in March, was acquired from the Cardinals last month after falling out of favor with Tony La Russa and some of his teammates. While he’s still one of the best defensive middle infielders in the game, he collapsed to a meager .223/.279/.294 batting line with a 573 OPS last season. Fits right in with the Mariners, right?
Now that we know Chone Figgins is officially moving back to third base, Ryan projects to be the starting second baseman for the Mariners this season, at least until Dustin Ackley is ready for the big leagues.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)