Quote of the Day: Are we sick of Phillies fans yet?

Jan 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

A guy on my Facebook feed who happens to be a Phillies fan wrote this as his status this morning:

37 days until Aces and catchers report!

Clever. But I gotta ask: is anyone sick of this rebop yet?

I know I sure am.  I mean, I appreciate how excited Phillies fans are about 2011, but you’d think that they’d wait for something good to actually happen on a baseball field before they start crowing.  Last I checked their hitters were made to look silly by the Giants and now they’re down one of the best of that bunch and plan on replacing him with a guy who got cut from his Winter Ball team. They watched the World Series at home just like 27 other teams did.

I think the Phillies will win the NL East and should probably win it easily. But if history has taught us anything, it’s that no one wins jack in January.

And yeah, I’m biased and a little bit envious of their pitching riches and I know that it doesn’t wear particularly well on a person. But neither does hubris.

124 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. adimike55 - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Craig,

I’ve never commented before here, but really, if you don’t like the comment, unfriend the person. It is a legitimate status, The FB user is a legitimate fan. They did nothing wrong but post something that you disagree with.

Makes me really question how skewed anything you write is.

What a molehill.

2. enrgy2burn - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

as a phils phan, i am counting down too until “aces and catchers report” (we can’t forget kendrick and blanton are still on the team)… however, i can see how it would be annoying to other fans… suck it, ny and atlanta (and dallas too… just because!!!)!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

no you suck it!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Don’t you make me turn this car around!!!!!!!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 9, 2011 at 2:55 AM

The big bad Phils have won 2 WS since the beginning of time and have more losses than ANY team in history. They are old and strike out a TON and will not even be playing in the WS in 2011, thats not bragging thats reality. Oh and you can kiss the eagles good bye, it never seems to amaze me how philly fans run their mouths yet have NOTHING to show for it at the end of the day. Your toast, enjoy

3. xmatt0926x - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Its in good fun craig and it wasn’t even directed at you. You’ve taken plenty of cheap shots at the phillies and their fans in the last 12 months. Most seemed in good fun as well but some seemed to stem from a childish bias you have. Grow up and lets all have some fun. The Phillies were cellar dwellars for years with no hope from an ownership group that claimes they payed in a small market. Now thin gs have changed and its a good time for the franchise that will probably end as all runs do in the next couple years. Let us have some fun while it lasts.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

4. xmatt0926x - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

• snowbirdgothic - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Glad to see reading comprehension is alive and well in the greater Philly area. Also, perspective.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM

You got reading comprehension and perspective fails from: “Seriously, if that comment really chafes your butt that bad than your just being childish. I wouldn’t even consider that to be real trash talk. Unreal.”

Really?

5. cmd11b - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Is it time for ACES AND CATCHERS to report yet?

6. mtner77 - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Well, as an M’s fan I can honestly say:

Just 37 more days until one ACE and ,err, warm bodies report.

Gosh, was that arrogant of me?

• cmd11b - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Hey King Felix is a stud, your lucky to have him there!

• mtner77 - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Yes, but the King and Ichi are ALL we have. Going to be a looooooong season.

• Panda Claus - Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It’s a much shorter wait until your sub-.500 football embarks in the playoffs. Kind of toss-up between which set of warm bodies to embrace isn’t it?

7. cmd11b - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I have to laugh at the person who thinks the Philadelphia Police are the only police organization to taze an unruly fan…Get into Doc Browns time machine and travel to 2009, Oakland Police taze an unruly fan at an A’s game so before you single out a city, its police and its fan base do you homework not to mention some parts of Oakland are wose than Afghanistan and ive been to Afghanistan 5 times and to be fair, some parts of our city are bad as well…I see your a Braves fan and you had quite a run, 13 years I believe and being statione at Ft Benning I was subjected to Braves baseball and although my love for the Phils stays strong, I enjoyed YOUR pitching staff of amazing arms but never once did I ever bash them or their fans, In fact Im still a Maddux and Jones fan so now its our time to enjoy an amazing staff and if our bats go silent like they do sometimes then it wont matter if Doc, Lee, Hamels, and Oswalt pitch amazing, the bats still have to hit……That is all

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Jonny 5 is a Phightins Phan trying to head off any of the other crap. At least he’s the only one I remember having said anything about Tazing, but I could be wrong. Just ask my wife.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Dude Jonny 5 is a HUGE Braves fan! HUGE! HUGE I TELL YA!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

He might be huge—just ask him about his deck—but Braves? Don’t think so.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Your wife wants to hang on my Deck? Cool!!! You can too if you want. Promise to wear shoes though, the last thing I want is Deck rot from those things…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Can’t argue with you on any of these points. I grit my teeth and say I’m an Utley and Halladay fan. So there ya go.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

See, Mom? I DO have fans!!!!! Or at least one….

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, and Chipper, Heyward, and steeenking x feeesh Uggly ain’t too bad either…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM

By the way, thanks for doing what you did in Afghanistan. If it was for you and your mates, we wouldn’t be able to screw around on the interwebs like this. Your service is invaluable. I salute you. But five times? Damn….

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Ditto on that. Oh and UH, don’t miss the link the the cake-pie under your video post. You better eat one and tell me about it.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Holy crap…will say more after I emerge from my diabetic coma…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

8. schmedley69 - Jan 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM

The Phillies have been around since 1883, and other than the stretch from the mid-70’s to early-80’s, they’ve never had many periods of sustained success, so excuse us fans if we are enjoying this current era while it lasts. For years we were put down and laughed at as losers, and then recently we had the 10,000 losses thing thrown in our face. You’re damn right that we are going to fire back and be arrogant now that we are on top. The same people who are upset with our arrogance are probably the same people who kicked us when we were down.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Thats cause you are all losers and we continue to laugh just as we laugh at your eagles who still never won even 1 SB and never will. Deal with reality!! Hate philly and all their fans

9. crankyfrankie - Jan 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM

OK we are pretty giddy here in Philadelphia but after walking to Connie Mack Stadium as a child to watch us lose to Coco Laboy and those awesome Expos I think I am entitled. I am not buying series tickets yet nor planning my day of for the parade but just looking forward to the pitchers and catchers reporting and baseball starting.

10. dasher521 - Jan 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I am a huge Phillies and have been all of my life. Every year for at least the past 15 years, when the last pitch of the World Series has been thrown, I have the count down of how many days it is till catchers and pitchers report. Since I’ve had a Facebook account (about three years), I’ve posted there. And, yes, I update the number of days between the last pitch of the World Series and reporting to Spring training.

I you want to write about something annoying that was stolen from another organization and has gone on far too long, why write about the tomahawk chop? There is some thing that is a long term annoyance.

11. Old Phaithful - Jan 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I can’t believe no one has said it yet today…”36 days until Aces and Chooch report!”

Woo-hoo!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3420)