Quote of the Day: Are we sick of Phillies fans yet?

Jan 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

A guy on my Facebook feed who happens to be a Phillies fan wrote this as his status this morning:

37 days until Aces and catchers report!

Clever. But I gotta ask: is anyone sick of this rebop yet?

I know I sure am.  I mean, I appreciate how excited Phillies fans are about 2011, but you’d think that they’d wait for something good to actually happen on a baseball field before they start crowing.  Last I checked their hitters were made to look silly by the Giants and now they’re down one of the best of that bunch and plan on replacing him with a guy who got cut from his Winter Ball team. They watched the World Series at home just like 27 other teams did.

I think the Phillies will win the NL East and should probably win it easily. But if history has taught us anything, it’s that no one wins jack in January.

And yeah, I’m biased and a little bit envious of their pitching riches and I know that it doesn’t wear particularly well on a person. But neither does hubris.

124 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Just wait until the RSN starts to get all frothy and masturbatory about their truck leaving for Spring Training.

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Don’t hate…

• woodenulykteneau - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Pot, kettle. Kettle, Pot.

2. Andy Hoover - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Hearing a Braves fan grumble about the excitement that another team’s fans have about their great pitching staff is really, really annoying. I lived through the 1990s.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Wasn’t that decade just the best?

• Andy Hoover - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

It was horrific. But it’s also over.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM

So what are you saying? I can’t get any new games for my Sega CD?

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM

It was great – I hadn’t married my ex-wife yet.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Boris, now why would you go ahead and marry your ex-wife? That’s just dumb.

3. apbaguy - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Let the Phillies fans have fun now. Most of the regular guys on this blog from Philly are no worse than the NY guys, and besides, they all seem to know baseball pretty well. But thanks for pointing out the SF rotation’s success last Oct. That gets forgotten too easily. And unlike the Philly staff, the SF guys are all under 30. As are the beloved A’s pitchers. Best 4 SP’s this year? We’ll see.

• Adam - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Most of the regular guys on this blog from Philly are no worse than the NY guys

Damning with faint praise there.

• spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Apbaguy, Talk about back-handed compliments. “no worse than the NY guys”, is like saying Glenn Beck isn’t so bad compared to Bill O’Reilly.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Actually that should go “Bill O’Reilly isn’t so bad compared to Glenn Beck”.

• spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Agreed, but O’Reilly came first.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:31 PM

That’s what she said.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Well, I would go with Beck isn’t as bad as O’Reilly, but that’s only because I don’t want Beck to cry. They’re pretty much a wash—and now I feel like I need a shower.

4. BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Does a bear s–t in the woods?
    (Apologies to Utley and other Phils fans on this blog)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I know, it’s tough. I want to rag on the Phils fans harder, but I feel that most Phils fans on here are too darn amicable and enjoyable. It’s really annoying. Hopefully Fiorentino will get back on the horse soon.

Same goes for Yankees fans on HBT. Stop being so damned reasonable so I can mock you!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Cake.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Not if the bear is in a zoo, duh.

• Adam - Jan 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I always thought the bear was Catholic and the Pope was the one in the woods? Guess not.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I’d be pretty excited too, if I were a big dumb Philly fan (slam!). In fact I’d be so consistently excited for so long by this point that I’d be over-exposed to elation, causing a numbness to feelings of further excitement. Thus, I’d no longer be excitable. At this point, I would then turn a taser on myself so I could “feel” something again. Is that what this offseason feels like, Philly fans? If so, please taser yourself on video and post on youtube as well as HBT.

• cmd11b - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I have to laugh at the person who thinks the Philadelphia Police are the only police organization to taze an unruly fan…Get into Doc Browns time machine and travel to 2009, Oakland Police taze an unruly fan at an A’s game so before you single out a city, its police and its fan base do you homework not to mention some parts of Oakland are wose than Afghanistan and ive been to Afghanistan 5 times and to be fair, some parts of our city are bad as well…I see your a Braves fan and you had quite a run, 13 years I believe and being statione at Ft Benning I was subjected to Braves baseball and although my love for the Phils stays strong, I enjoyed YOUR pitching staff of amazing arms but never once did I ever bash them or their fans, In fact Im still a Maddux and Jones fan so now its our time to enjoy an amazing staff and if our bats go silent like they do sometimes then it wont matter if Doc, Lee, Hamels, and Oswalt pitch amazing, the bats still have to hit……That is all

6. snowbirdgothic - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

As a Phillies fan who lived in Atlanta from ’95 through ’00, I find myself curiously lacking in sympathy. I spent way too many evenings listening to the Braves’ announcers being affronted by other teams actually having the temerity to score on Smoltz, Maddux, et alia on occasion for this to seem like a big deal.

Give it a couple more years, and an explosion of pink Phillies’ hats on trendoids’ and hipsters’ heads, and then you’ll have something.

7. phillygirl4 - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I think there is a huge difference between excitement and expecting to win. I am so pumped for this season b/c the Phillies are a team full of exciting players. I don’t think that means an automatic WS win. Sure, it would be disappointing if they didn’t but I think Craig is being too hard on this guy. What he said wasn’t “We’re a shoe-in to win and F the rest of you”. He said 37 days until Aces & catchers. Our starting rotation is full of Aces so that’s a truth. I’d imagine a Giants fan could say the same thing. Maybe even the Brewers fans. I get the point you’re trying to make but you’re taking it too far.

8. phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

“I think the Phillies will win the NL East and should probably win it easily”

Replace “The Phillies” with “any team in the history of ever in any sport even some things that are not a sport”

9. Brian - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

the fans are gloating over finally sticking it to NY (albeit via Cliff Lee).

10. wmseradio - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM

You need sleep, Craig. I’m a Braves fan and thought this clever. Are you having a hard time finding where to place the vitriol you’ve been [deservedly] spewing at BBWAA HOF voters.

11. Gil Thorpe - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM

its HRAD OUT HERE 4 a fucken PIP
    hahahahahah barves

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Barves? Is that you Chipper? GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

12. Panda Claus - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Doesn’t bother me–yet. As an Orioles fan I even tolerated the uprising in Boston following the 2004 Series. After 2007 it became more obnoxious.

The Phillies themselves don’t bother me either. Most of the players seem to be decent and fairly humble guys. Not like the A’s or Yankees of the 70′s, where brash and arrogant ruled the landscape.

I guess it’s easier for me to tolerate a particular fan base as long as the players on the team itself aren’t boorish too.

13. sdelmonte - Jan 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I’ve been sick of Phils fans since ’07. And they’re sick of me. So all’s fair.

14. BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Phillies Phans = Phail

• spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

BC, I swear to God, this is a F#@$#*&, coincidence!!

15. spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Phillie Phans=Nouveau Riche

16. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Phillies Phans = Phat guy in a little coat

• scatterbrian - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Shutup Richard.

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Phillies Phans = Phat Guy In A Bathtub
      (had to get a Little Feat reference in)

• spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM

R.I.P. LG.

• enrgy2burn - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I didn’t know Chris Farley was a Phils fan!

17. Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I’ve had a woody since mid December. And I never once rubbed anyone’s nose in it. Wait, I take that back. I haven’t gloated about the sheer awesomeness of the Phillies 2011 pitching staff yet. I was one person who said “let’s see if they’re the best ever before anyone calls them that.” Ahem! Craig…. I still highly doubt they can even come close to comparing to the 90′s Braves. I mean, it was right around 10 years of awesomeness we’re talking and these guys in Philly are kinda old besides Hamels… In my estimation this staff cannot hold up for anywhere near that amount of time.. Can I say it’s a fact? I better not.

Even though I’ll probably not do so (too often) I say Gloat away Philly!! How many times have The good Philly fans been abused unfairly over the years? More than any other fanbase has. 10,000 losses, santa,snowballs, booing, tasers, pukers, neck injuries-yay! So if any fanbase should get slack in this case, It’s Philly fans. Plus they had to deal with the Vet for how long? Oh yeah, Judge and jail in the stadium… I know I left some out. Had to.

• ramsbladdercup - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I got this far:
      “I’ve had a woody since mid December. And I never once rubbed”
      And had to avert my eyes.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

From a man who calls himself Ramsbladdercup? No, you lie, you lie like a rug… You read it twice. At least.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Because they were rolling in the back of your head? See, everybody? It must be good!!!

• phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

“’ve had a woody since mid December. And I never once rubbed anyone’s nose in it.”

did you mean ON it?

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Yeah…in it would hurt something fierce. But Jonny has mentioned on more than one occasion that he has a massive deck.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM

My Deck is soooo big. Or so I heard. No really, I am referring to my Deck. It’s wood.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I thought you were just hanging out with Woody Harrelson all winter, which would explain why I’m getting a contact high just by reading your comments.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM

shhhhhh…. I didn’t inhale!

18. phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM

im like 100% sure that the Phils are going to be NL east winners but as i said before thats not anything special. i cannot wait for the Allstar break when Cliff Lee has a losing record and Oswalt is on the DL. im not hating… im just saying.. Lee is overrated and as a yankees fan i NEVER wanted him.. and Oswalt is not anything close to what he was in the past. Doc will alwys be Elite and Hamels is a gddamn joke.

• Lloyd Philip - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

“Lee is overrated and as a yankees fan i NEVER wanted him”

That’s like me saying…The lottery is also overrated…most lottery winners burn bridges, become drug addicts, go broke and eventually become homeless, thus I too would NEVER like to win the lottery…

• phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I Still dont get it… the guy has had ONE great season and 2 ok seasons and hes the Second coming? i mean over the last… lets say 6 yrs he wont even be in the top 10 best pitchers in baseball.. hes good.. cannot deny that.. better as an NL pitcher.. better even in the NL east and even better Pitching behind DOC. but you put him on ANY other contending team and hes not going to be half as good as ppl make him out to be. hes proven that on the Rangers last yr as their ACE. he will still have similar ball to strike ratio but stop acting like hes all that cause he aint..

• Ari Collins - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM

phukyouk… you do realize that Lee is better than any starter for the Yanks over the last three years by any pitching measurement that’s not, like, something stupid like pitching wins? And that there aren’t too many people outside of New York who’d project Sabathia to be better next year? And that Lee isn’t even the Phillies’ best starter?

19. Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I have a question not really baseball related 100%. If you were a Philly fan, and last season you prayed to God above that the Phills would somehow land Cliff Lee as a FA and become the baddest team around (potentially) even though you KNEW it couldn’t happen, promising away many bad habits if this were to take place, while buzzed up on beer. Then “IT” happens. Even if you aren’t religious, What would you do?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I dunno what Phils fans would do, but as a Braves fan in the same hypothetical situation, I’d try to find and seduce a mermaid. Because, anything is possible after IT happening, right?

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Oh… so I DO have a chance with Drew Barrymore! Someone get her manager on the phone! :-)

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Why a Mermaid? The smell… And you do know most fish species call spraying seed into the water “sex” right? I hope that’s not your idea of it as well. It can clog tub drains I hear.

I’m thinking I better quit my habits as promised. I mean dang. Over the weekend odds and ends at the grocery store cost me $66.66 so I bought a scratch off. Then matched 3 like prize amounts. Yup $6 $6 $6. Coincidence? I hope…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I grew up in a rural town and once heard, “if it smells like trout pull it out and if it smells like salmon keep on jammin’” So I’ll leave you with that.

• Panda Claus - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Please tell me you weren’t careless enough to include “and I’ll also stop throwing batteries at opposing fans in the ballpark”? j/k

• CJ - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I wasn’t. But I left in an exception for JD Drew. Heck, a guy’s gotta be allowed to have at least a little fun at a ballpark these days.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I knew I forgot one Panda, thanks.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I believe the term you are looking for is spontaneous ejaculation, right?

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM

You sir are a dirty birdie….

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM

At least it wasn’t autoerotic strangulation.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM

While that may be true, my deck isn’t nearly as massive as yours. Or so I’ve been told…

—sigh—

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM

“At least it wasn’t autoerotic strangulation.”

Who do I look like? Ray Combs?

• spudchukar - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Wait til October.

20. Ari Collins - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I think the overall team isn’t as record-setting as many Phillies fans seem to think (they ain’t winning 105 games, and likely not even 100), but that rotation is ungodly good. So let them be excited! Philadelphia has the only baseball team to make the playoffs each of the last three years, and they look pretty set up for the next two or three years, so let ‘em enjoy their mini dynasty.

• phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM

did the twins not make it in 2008?

• CJ - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I think he meant “win their division”

• Ari Collins - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM

They lost a one-game playoff to the White Sox, who went on to get beat by the Rays.

I was pretty amazed when I heard that statistic too, but it’s true.

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Finished a game behind Chicago.

• Ari Collins - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s the playoffs, not just the division. I heard it somewhere recently, and I can’t think of a single team other than the Phillies.

Suck on that, other sports’ parity claims!

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM

ARI, this is sooo unlike you. Tell me they’ll suck. tell me now!!! I might short circuit…. :P

• Ari Collins - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Haha, I never said they suck! Just that they’re not some uberteam, thanks to an only-very-good-not-great offense. But it’s pretty fun having a 95-win team (on paper), especially one whose strength is the rotation, which is the most entertaining to watch.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM

You better watch it ARI, I’m praying for 105 wins… To GOD.. Yup. And then I’m going to rub your nose in that when it happens… LOL!!

You do know, the only two things I disagree with you on are the following.

Ryan Howard is in decline stage, and I don’t agree that Robert Redford is prettier than Jeter’s ole’ lady. You’re warped in those aspects, I have to say.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Jonny, did you just call Jeter an ole lady?

21. phukyouk - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM

i checked.. the Phils are the only ones.. but i mean come on.. look at the Muts, Fish, and Nats… all they need to compete against is the Braves.

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Mets = Total Epic Fail

22. Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM

To answer Craig,s question, uh…hell no.

23. yankeesfanlen - Jan 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

What is with all this brouhaha? Now the NL has the equivalent of Yankees fans.I feel right at home just wonder why it took so long.
    However 4 divided by 27……..

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM

That’s more like it! Now I can hate on something again…27 times over!

• Jonny 5 - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM

We can never, ever compete with you guys Lenny. Because we’ll never be able to say “27″ and the day we can, you Yank fans may just be uttering “52″

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM

In the Year 2525……..now that’s stuck in your head all weekend.

• Panda Claus - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM

All with perspective YFL.

Remember the Cubs at one time led all teams in WS championships, then the calendar turned to 1909. Maybe Garza means “turn back the clock to before when goats mattered” in Polish or something like that.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I think Garza means “heron” but yours is pretty darn close. 1909, now that was a crazy year…

24. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Oh right, Craig has a question. My answer is no, I’m not sick of Phillies fans yet.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Right…and CAKE!!!!!!!!!!! And I’m willing to go the distance with my choice, too. HAHAHAHA…ugh….

• Panda Claus - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

What’s Ugh-la got to do with this?

When I think of Cake and Pie, I think about MarKAKis and Felix Pie. (apologies for barging into your pastry party).

• Utley's Hair - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Anybody is invited to the party. Have some cake. I’ll even include a bamboo plate.

(And “El Bravo” is just lashing out because of a rumor that his new SS likes cake….)

But, on a related note…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Holy crap! You’ll love this:

Meet the pie-cake or cake-pie or whatever. It’s at the Reading Terminal ta boot! Now I have a reason to revisit Philly! WOOOO!

25. jme42257 - Jan 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

You are a HATER, Craig.

There’s a difference between hubris and confidence. People are excited. Phillies fans had been used to cheering for a terrible team, and all of a sudden the club has built a major winner that any top player in the league would love to join. Our GM has acquired 4 Cy Young winners in the past couple years, and overall excitement is pretty much at an all-time high.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4027)