The Alfredo Simon case gets uglier and uglier

Jan 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

Alfredo Simon walking

Friend-of-HBT Nick Collias has been reading about the Alfredo Simon case in the Spanish language press and passes along a coupe of articles that show just how sordid this business is getting:

According to this report by Yoel Adames of ESPN Deportes, the mother of the victim, Michel Castillo, Alfredo Simon tried to bribe the family in order to get them to drop the charges:

“We’ve come so that justice will be done, because we understand that people are in support of him being released, and we want justice. He has offered money, but money doesn’t pay for the death of my son. My son’s death is non-negotiable.”

Castillo’s mother claims that, contrary to many of the reports we’ve seen, Simon and Castillo were not friends.  She also claims that Simon was indifferent to the fact that Castillo was shot, shrugged it all off and went on to a club after the shooting.  It’s about 18-levels of hearsay, but Castillo’s mother says she was told that Simon said “what do I care?” at the scene.

There are two sides to every story, however. According to this report, a cousin of Simon’s who was at the scene says that “More people were shooting in the air at the scene, but in the eye of the public it’s my cousin’s fault because he’s a ball player and they want him to be guilty.”  Another person at the scene says this:

“Alfredo Simon isn’t guilty, what’s happening is that [the victim's family] wants to get involved because they envy [Simon] because he is young and is beginning to have money.”

Everyone’s emotions here are strong. There may also be agenda in play on both sides.  All I know is that every time we hear something new about this case it gets sadder and sadder.

(Thanks again to Nick Collias for bringing these reports to my attention and for translating them)

1. motherscratcher23 - Jan 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

We’re never going to know what happened, are we?

2. BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

What a cluster. Makes the 2000 Presidential election look like clockwork.

3. makaray - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I am from Luperon and know both sides although I do not live there anymore my family is still there. I called my mother the next morning and she told me that indeed Simon didn’t realized he might have shot the victim and was only told at the club he went to that he had killed someone. My mother wasn’t there but my brother was around the area at the time of the tragedy. I am sure the victim’s mother is only being told what they prefer to know, that her son’s killer goes to jail for a very long time. I however cannot comment on the bribing-gate as I had no clue of that until now.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM

BBWAA would just give him a life sentence on the current facts alone, would they not?

5. paperlions - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I’m pretty sure Jeff Bagwell was involved.

• BC - Jan 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Nah, it’s all Nixon’s fault for when he took us off the gold standard…..

6. tigerprez - Jan 7, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Let’s get off our moral high horses and stop judging this man. It’s only murder. I’m sure there have been other murderers in MLB, so is it really so bad if there’s one more? If there was one murderer, we pretty much have to let them all in, no? It’s not like he was using greenies or something.

7. frankvzappa - Jan 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

he wouldnt be getting prosecuted if he were a bankster-globalist whose actions were resulting in the deaths of millions and the destruction of America, so why dont they just let him go?

Three legends off to Cooperstown