Jan 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the deal is done: eight players are involved in the deal that sends Matt Garza from Tampa Bay to the Cubs.
Specifically: the Rays will get pitching prospect Chris Archer — the Cubs’ number one prospect — outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld. In addition to Garza, the Cubs will get a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder.
This is a big, big deal. Mostly for the Rays, who have added multiple top prospects to an already-stocked minor league system. While Garza is a fine pitcher, he’s not that fine. And the Rays aren’t going to miss much of a beat anyway, what with Jeremy Hellickson taking his spot in the rotation.
For the Cubs this is a head-scratcher. They need pitching, but their payroll is bloated and their farm system thin. At some point they’re going to need to integrate some cheap talent into that mix, and they just gave away a lot of it for a good but by no means great pitcher.
This is a win for the Rays. It may mean a short term improvement for the Cubs, but I don’t like this deal for them.
10:52 AM: Bruce Miles reports that the Cubs are nearing a trade for Matt Garza.
We first reported that the Cubs and Rays were talking about Garza a month ago. There have been multiple on-again, off-again reports since then. This stuff now seems like a new, more urgent push, with people in the Twitterverse who are in the know characterizing it as close to being done.
The rumored return: prospects Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee,Brandon Guyer and Robinson Chirinos. Baseball America ranked Archer as the Cubs’ number 1 prospect last year, Lee as the number 4 and Guyer as number 10. Not sure on Chirinos, but I hear he has a great personality. (UPDATE: Chirinos is the number 16 prospect)
Seems like a steep asking price for Garza. But the Cubs are pretty desperate for some starting pitching. We’ll update this as events unfold, of course.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)